Help ordering labonville chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
Reaction score
ok so ill admit, this will be my first pair of chaps ever, i should have gotton a pair years ago, but.. well.. you know how that goes, anyway i know i need a pair, and after reading around here, it seems labonville's are very popular.
i have baileys spring catalog here with them on sale, so i figure i may as well order a pair now.

they have them listed as "labonville chainsaw safety chaps" ranging from $56-$76 depending on size. 6 ply kevlar polyester blend.

so my question is really just about the sizing.
i think i remember hearing to order them a little bit longer than you would your regular blue jeans?
what is the "pad" number?
they have 28" pad all the way up to 44" pad, in increments of 2".
it says they are adjustable waist from 28"-44"?
so why all the sizes? can someone please explain this for me so i can order the correct size
i normally wear a 36" waist, and a 32" inseam bluejean.
next to the item number they have "regular, large, xl, 2x, 3x" and each has a corresponding "pad number" and length?
call me an idiot but i am totally confused here and me and my legs would really appreciate any help! thanks guy

Yup, order the "large", 36" length. That's what I have, with a 32" inseam as well.

If you don't have anything else to get from Baileys, I think Labonville's cheaper on shipping if you order direct from them, but I haven't checked lately.

Hmm I just went to my local labbonville store, lol. Not many in nj.

You want the extra long. They come in green and a safety color(red or orange I can't remember)

oh yea if you cut near your toes get the wrap around. It offers more protection around your ankle area.

Last edited:
first i gota say, baileys has them listed in a way in their magazine that i EXTREMELY confusing for a first time buyer

the link to labonvilles website makes much more sense
i guess ill spend the extra few bucks and get the 10 ply ones direct from labonville, my legs are worth an extra $20

so i measured my leg, its 36" overall from waist to my ankle bone, so should i get the "long" size according to labonvilles site and the "large" according to baileys book, or should i order them a little longer than actual measurement?

on labonvilles site there is no talk of "pad" sizes? what is this mysterious "pad" word anyway?

on labonvilles site is just says the waist size is adjustable up to 46"... so is it just a one size fits all waist? (unless you need the belt extender)

do the 10 ply come in colors other than orange?

Last edited:
The "pad" doesn't quite come to the top of the chaps. There's the Bailey's discrepancy. like I said, the 36" overall (long/large) works well for me, but they do ride up just a little now and then. I think this has more to do with the fact that I strap the full wraps tight at the bottom to keep brush out than the length though. Not a huge worry for me.

Chaps only cover the front, and the belt they send with will work up to 46" of backside, you can buy an extender if you're a bigger boy than that.

ok thanks for all the help
im gona order the long/large 10 ply
guess i gotta get them in orange, seems thats all they have, was hoping for green, oh well
thanks

chaps too short?

Hmm, maybe my body has a strange shape. I wear 36x32 jeans, too, but I measure 39" from the top of my belt to where my foot meets my ankle. I'm 6'0" tall.

I have the Labonville 6-ply full-wrap chaps in "XL = 40" Overall Length" size and they fit PERFECTLY. There is even room to squat.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=250

Last edited:
the "store brand" chap we sell is a "REG" its a 32" length chap...I am 5'10" and they fit perfect...come just to the top of my hiking boots....and I have plenty of room to squat...kneel down...crawl...what ever I have too...once you have them on for 2 minutes, you will forget you even have them on anyway....

YOU DO NOT want them too long.....you will trip on the straps....

Chainsaw safety chaps are designed to go from the waist to the top of the boot...not to your ankles....that's why there are chainsaw safety boots...most of the company's know you wont buy a $200 pair of safety boots though so they sell them long to cover their own butts....

Please guys, if your going to give out safety info, KNOW what your talking about....

Another + is that your pants stay cleaner...and that makes my wife happy...

Most say to launder weekly when being used heavily....

ALSO, 1 KNICK and they are supposed to be replaced!

the "store brand" chap we sell is a "REG" its a 32" length chap...I am 5'10" and they fit perfect...come just to the top of my hiking boots....and I have plenty of room to squat...kneel down...crawl...what ever I have too...once you have them on for 2 minutes, you will forget you even have them on anyway....

YOU DO NOT want them too long.....you will trip on the straps....

Chainsaw safety chaps are designed to go from the waist to the top of the boot...not to your ankles....that's why there are chainsaw safety boots...most of the company's know you wont buy a $200 pair of safety boots though so they sell them long to cover their own butts....

Please guys, if your going to give out safety info, KNOW what your talking about....

Another + is that your pants stay cleaner...and that makes my wife happy...

Most say to launder weekly when being used heavily....

ALSO, 1 KNICK and they are supposed to be replaced!

Then Labonville instructions are wrong and they don't know what they're talking about? Excerpt form Labonville.com links:

**IMPORTANT NOTICE***
Sizing - Chap length is not the same as your pants length. It is not measured by your Inseam. Chaps are sized by overall length. To calculate your overall length measure from your waist (where you would wear your belt) to the top of your foot or your instep.
Also see pictures in Labonville links in above posts.

Maybe it's because I have the full-wrap version, but the Labonville straps aren't even close to being long enough to trip on.

LabFWchaps.jpg

Last edited:
Oops, then Labonville instructions are wrong and they don't know what they're talking about?

Also see pictures in Labonville links in above posts.

How many people are going to buy $200+ safety boots? not many...

I guess for the 25 years that the owner of the shop has been selling chaps (100's of thousands of pairs) he has been doing it wrong....:confused:

http://www.elvex.com/chainsaw-chaps.htm

I guess for the 25 years that the owner of the shop has been selling chaps (100's of thousands of pairs) he has been doing it wrong....:confused:

Now I'm not sure what your point is. Of course, not many homeowners/firewooders are going to buy expensive chainsaw boots. They often use their steel toe work boots. But that's all the more reason to have the chaps cover the boot neck. Both Elvex and Labonville show their chaps covering the ankle.

I have Elvex full-wrap chaps, too. When I ordered them, they had the same measuring instructions as Labonville.

Last edited:
that maybe why your not walking in the straps....

hope I dont get in trouble for posting a link to Stihls website....

http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protective-apparel.html notice the pic...

And when he puts his leg down, they should cover the ankle more. That's exactly how they look when I lift my leg to fasten my chaps.

I've seen cheap one-size-fits-all or a-couple-sizes-fit-all chaps (usually less expensive models) with pictures of chaps not covering the ankle, and I do not doubt that the mfg. specifies that it's "okay."

Last edited:
And when he puts his leg down, they should cover the ankle more. That's exactly how they look when I lift my leg to fasten my chaps.

Then your straps are not tight enough...and why are his pant legs not pulled up if that were true...:)

I am not going to argue....buy what ever you want dude....done on this one...:)

Then your straps are not tight enough...and why are his pant legs not pulled up if that were true...:)

I am not going to argue....buy what ever you want dude....done on this one...:)

Oh, please. They're tight enough. The jean actually moves with the chap, for the most part. They can move without the chap, too--it's fine. This happens to pants, even without wearing chaps. Lift your leg or sit down and your pantleg will want to ride up.

Last edited:
ok thanks for all the help
im gona order the long/large 10 ply
guess i gotta get them in orange, seems thats all they have, was hoping for green, oh well
thanks

I have the full wrap in green. Call a store or 800 number, they are very helpful

I have the 6ply. I never looked at the 10ply. I wonder how much hotter they are.

Last edited:

All the links you show have them at ankle height. Guess you are the only one that likes highwater chaps.

Hmm, maybe my body has a strange shape. I wear 36x32 jeans, too, but I measure 39" from the top of my belt to where my foot meets my ankle. I'm 6'0" tall.

Sounds right.

Pants are measured on the inseam. If you ever get fitted for a suit by a tailor, he'll hold one end of the tape by your ankle, and the other end will be getting fresh with the boys.

Chaps aren't measured by the inseam, but to the belt.

Sounds right.

Pants are measured on the inseam. If you ever get fitted for a suit by a tailor, he'll hold one end of the tape by your ankle, and the other end will be getting fresh with the boys.

Chaps aren't measured by the inseam, but to the belt.

Yeah, I was confident about how to measure them (Labonville, Elvex, and mass-produced big-box store models) and am familiar with the difference. My "Hmm..." post was a way of presenting my knowledge, experience, and opinions in a non-confrontational manner. I could have told everyone that they were dangerous and shouldn't spout off when they don't know what they're talking about, but I didn't think that would be productive and might rub folks the wrong way. I also realize that I could be wrong or may have misunderstood what other posters meant, so calling them out would also not have been prudent.

Last edited:
Back