Help Porting my Stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have just acquired an 034 for $100 and thought it would be a good saw to try my hand at porting. I have been reading alot about porting and I'm pretty sure I understand what to do.
Here are some Pics before I get started.

I have a question about the intake port. Do I do anything with that little tab sticking out or just leave it? I was only going to widen the ports but do I shave that tab down a bit, it seems like a sharp edge.

Another quetion, on the transfer ports at the bottom there is a sharp edge.
Can I file that edge off? If I did It would be lowering the transfer port.

Last edited:
Check out Porting 101 using the search function. Probably a good idea to see if you can get some junk cylinders to practice on. Have you done top ends on any saws before? If not I would get the basics down first. Good luck with it though.

I have read those threads. I read Brad's thread on the BB361 which I thought would be a close match to my saw but going by the pics the cylinder is different. my cylinder doesn't go down into the case, it just sits flush. That's why I asked about the transfer ports.

I'm about 1/2 hour west of Ottawa, Could show you in an hour or two what it would take a week to explain.

Imac
If I was You ,I would get in my car and start driving right now!Theirs guys on this site that would pay for the offer that was just extended to You. Bring a camera,take notes ect...

PM sent, there are just a few guys in the area really into saws so would be good to hook up.

Back