Help pricing small land clearing/tree felling jobs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothykamp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A little background.....

I just entered the logging business this year as a senior in highschool. Last year I borrowed a splitter and sold firewood. This year I started by getting a contract on clearing about 15 acres of land - which I promptly subcontracted to a tree service, who only dropped the trees and shredded the tops and the undesireable wood. The trees were borecut and sold off as timber, and the large branches of the tops were cut for firewood. All in all there were about 80 large oaks and hickorys. I didnt have much to do with the pricing on the job - I let the timber buyer - my father's friend - help me out with that.

At first all I was interested in was the firewood, but because of the timber and clearing work I get a cut of the profits. With that money I bought a nice stihl and a 35 ton logsplitter and hired a local to run it.

I am now looking to take on small jobs that have a low risk-factor - currently I am not insured. I have had 2 people contact me about doing some tree work, and I have the work, but I still need to submit an informal estimate.

Let me just describe one quickly
-20" dead oak needs to be felled and cut up in 16" lengths for firewood and split
2 fairly good sized (25") oak lightning strikes laying on the ground need to be cut and split. About 1/3 of an acre needs to be cleared of brush and small trees - all less than 4"-5".
All this is taking place completely away from any dangerous obstacles - trees can fall any way, anything they hit on the way down is fine, no houses, lines or anything to watch out for.

How do I start bidding a job like this. I am interested in some criteria and things to look for when I do work like this.

thanks - since i own my own saw and splitter- do i estimate what it would cost the homeowner? And he is getting a lot of firewood instead of buying mine (he bought 2 cords off me, but he is getting probably 2 or 3 more after I am done splitting, so should I figure that in too?

I wouldn't. I would figure the cost of producing said wood,and leave it at that.
remember, he already owns the firewood, he's just paying you to process it

You can't just figure he's getting 2 cord of wood, and price it as that. going to his place with your equipment and doing it there, is different from doing firewood at your site. plus removals and underbrushing.
What are you doing with the brush and underbrush? How difficult is access? fences? creeks, steepbanks? what happens to the firewood after its cut and split? leave lay, stack, haul up to the house? help? wear and tear? fuel? could you make more easier by doing your usual, and skipping on the job? Timeline for completion? what extra equipment do you need/ would make the job faster? es, you can cut underbrush by chainsaw. a few extra $$s on a bushhog saves a LOT of time, cutting and cleanup.
You need to answer all these questions, they will make a difference on your price
-Ralph

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back