Help save my giant elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MAN! Thats a mighty tree!

attachment.php

jmo but my opinion is rocky got more real in what he said than u guys can understand..no offence intended.. but that tree has found a way to do for a long time..what u would do to that one mite just be exactly what takes it out.. notice i just said possibly..
rite now the owner said he thinks it coming back.. as it always has.. its possibility that its found water u dont know is there..again jno

Tony

I hope I'm not kicking myself in the butt next fall. By the way, no damaged limbs from the ice storm that just passed through. Knock on wood.

Any stress due to competition from the understory plants would be a terciaty concern.

The picture is kinda small, so it's hard to tell, but I don't see any dead leaves that are hanging on. which we often see with DED flagging late in the season.

If you had fenceline trees that were in a wet area that dried uo, this could be the cause of the loss, vs DED. I had quite a few trees I looked at in early fall that were dropping thier leaves early. Most were in areas that stayed wet most of the year becuase the noighborhood draind into where the trees were growning.

Some died, others showed green buds. It's a wait and see.

Piling snow on the lip of the bluff may help increase available water in spring.

If the tree does live the year, could you set up a pump so that you can irrigate this tree the next time a drought comes through?

John Paul

The bottom of the bank is a fencerow which is also the east edge of the elm's dripline. About 20' east of the fence is a wetland. The fencerow at the top of the bank is the west edge of the dripline. The distance between the two fences is about 100'. As I said earlier, the elm's roots run along the top of the rock bank.
I suppose that it may be getting some moisture on the east side near the wetland but not enough moisture on the west, north and south sides. I have an outdoor hydrant about 150' from the tree, plenty close for a sprinkler during drought.

If any of those smaller trees are elms, cut 'em down because they can move DED through their roots to your tree.

DED is your only real concern. Seperating root grafts will stop root transmission and fugicide treatments will stop insect infection. This provided the DED isn't already there.

Seeing small elms in the area die is very concerning.

Thanks for the reminder on cutting the small elms. That had not occured to me. I got most of them but I need to take another looksee.

Back