help stihl 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 084av. A chunk of carbon came lose and scored the piston and cylinder. I have been unable to find an aftermarket cylinder. Could I use a Stihl 088 or 880 cylinder? The 088 and 880 have better porting. I am a very experienced machinist so modification is not a problem. However I would like to know what I would need to do before I bought the parts. Also where would be a good place to buy the cylinder and piston that would not charge me an arm and a leg?

Thanks

It's not going to be practical to put an 088/880 cylinder on an 084 chassis, even if you are a talented machinist. You'd have to buy the 088/880 muffler and all related components (which new would cost you right around $400) and you'd have to do a lot of work to the cylinder. You'd also have to chop up your 084 top cover and brake handle real good.

If your 084 cylinder only has a carbon score it can probably be cleaned up easily. A new piston and rings and you'd be good to go.

Back