Help the 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor K

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
[photo=medium]4287[/photo]I have started a project on building a light but powerful midsized felling saw. I have always like a 268 but felt it could use a boost. So at a run down saw shop I found a 268 that I wanted to rebuild with a larger cylinder and piston,new carb,ported exhaust,coil,clutch,flywheel,and all the miscellaneous parts to make this saw like it was brand new. Now apon completion as everything went back together great all but my topcover. I bought an aftermarket too cover because someone told me it's a more forgiving fit but was not the case. It fits everywhere but the spark plug hits it. It's a 52 mm metour cylinder on it ant I know the the 272 huskys are 52 mm as well . My question is will a 272 top cover fit on my 268 considering the years are the same?

Not sure about the aftermarket ones but oem 268 and 272 are the same cover.
Could be the sparkplug angle on the Meteor is different? Looks like it is in the pics.
You may have to mod the intake tube a bit...

Does your 268 have a single coil or duel coil? duel coil has a different case, single coil 268 and 272 are interchangeable without modifications.It looks like your plug wire is too short.

Have you tried w/o the air filter and plug wire? Top covers are the same for 268 and 272. 268 and 272 usually have a different air filter set up than what you have.

Does your 268 have a single coil or duel coil? duel coil has a different case, single coil 268 and 272 are interchangeable without modifications.It looks like your plug wire is too short.
As far as I know, all 268s came with a single coil.

Have you tried w/o the air filter and plug wire? Top covers are the same for 268 and 272. 268 and 272 usually have a different air filter set up than what you have.

Yes, the problem here likely is that the air filter on the saw isn't a 268/272 one, and isn't compatible with the air intake tube in the cover.

In the end after I stepped back and gave it a closer look all it was the rubber that surrounds the manifold of the carburetor had slid ahead not allowing it to fit it felt like the spark plug but was not the case

Back