help with a paper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would go with the company idea as well

Makes you seem to be a "bigger thinker", concentrating on the way the companies play in the world, vs something you could hold in either hand. That doesn't mean you couldn't do a bit on engineering within that framework, but only if it's going to be longer.

If it's going to be short, then do a compare and contrast on how the companies have used engineering to get around design obstacles and the different cultural focuses in design. I've always been a sucker for German engineering, usually it is fantastic (been driving VWs for YEARS, on my 4th, approx. 550,000 miles, 430k of it on two cars, new one just turned 70k), but the Huskies are very well thought out and engineered saws as well. Don't try to pick a winner, just focus on the different thinking that went into them. You could find a couple of special things about both (ie, Husky's outboard clutch which is supposed to run cooler and not bake your seals). What would be even better is if you could find a Husky saw to borrow for the day, or print off pictures highlighting the differences.

What most of us boneheads here think doesn't matter much in the big picture, but input from a mechanic type who has worked on both could add something.

BTW, I ALWAYS did well on presentations in college...and after. Saved my bosses backside a few times and have got some cool toys to show for it. He is always very grateful when I pull off what needs to be done, and is often very generous because of it.

Mark

retoocs555 said:
Hmm... Never thought about the technically correct way to site an online disscussion forum.

Well, since you mentioned being technically correct....

Start by using the right word! It's "cite", not "site". See? :D

(Spacemule will get that, even if nobody else does.)

oldsaw said:
Makes you seem to be a "bigger thinker", concentrating on the way the companies play in the world, vs something you could hold in either hand.

This thought goes along with Roosevelt's quote "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people"

You writing a paper on the companies different strategies is like discussing ideas, if you just contrast two different saws then thats like discussing people. I think you'll find plenty of info on here to make a pretty good paper without limiting yourself to just two different saws.

How long is the paper supposed to be? Correct citation of a website should be covered in the Bedford Handbook....which you should have anyway if you will be writing any amount of papers. What are you going to school for...and at what level? Anyhow, discussing the companies will definitely interest a teacher more than the saws...you should be able to get your hands on some good general public info. Just by consulting this website you will ahve to list it in your works cited page, but only if you use one of our ideas or a quote will you need a footnote or in text citation. Good luck with it..
J.D.

StihlBoy440 said:
I agree mule but I am actually interested in this so I want be correct plus I am just writing a rough draft for him to look at then I can get the grammar right and hone how I present it to him. I am in a leap program so the grading is not so strict yet, but thanks!
If you wanted, you could compare and contrast the start up and running of two companies in two different but eventually socialized political systems and what it took to make them the companies they are today. That could be "educational" and informative at the same time. You could also c and c the current involvement of world trade laws that cater to them. The engineering of the saws might be to similar for the average paper to hold a non chainsaw nut-job's attention. If the teacher is older, they might enjoy the history and politics of the industry. Good luck, no matter what you write if it is about chainsaws you will have fun. Give a teacher more than they want and they will usually give back more than you deserve.

Last edited:
retoocs555 said:
Comparing companies. i.e corporate stucture between the two, differing polices and strategies would probably give you the most to write about and the most interesting paper.

Also the most work... Real reasearch, ouch

Hmm... Never thought about the technically correct way to site an online disscussion forum.

:cheers: :cheers:
Somehow I missed this post the first time thru. What retoocs555 said sounds good. I have contacted lots of companies directly, they are usually happy to provide more information than I ever wanted. If you get a public relations representative talking about corp. history you better be ready. They also really like to talk what makes their product better than their biggest competitor. They usually have lots of product literature with big pictures to show the world why theirs is better. It is probably on the corp. website, if not call them. Lots of companies print books on their history and what makes them special, sometimes they will make them available to you if you ask. Both companies are "old survivors" and ready for battle. Again, good luck.

Husky based in Sweden are really into sustainability are quite strict about emissions. Might be worth trying to find a Husky and a STIHL environmental pollicy and comparing how both companies go about the same problem.

I'd imagin that Husky come out on top as there E-tech is now more a less an option on everything can think of too many STIHL products with CATs. You might want to look at the markets they go for a well, i work for a environmental improvement company and all our stuff is Husky because of there environmental inverations on their products, however most councils and contracts here use STIHL.

Might want to see despite the two products being nearly identical why STIHL are still brand leaders.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Well, since you mentioned being technically correct....

Start by using the right word! It's "cite", not "site". See? :D

(Spacemule will get that, even if nobody else does.)

Argggg... :chainsaw:

Do YOU want to research or not?

If you compare saws for this average assignment you can blow through it.

If you write on the topics of corporate strategy, alignment, and ownership; your teacher should outclass you on the subject. Tough way to make a grade.

The whole point about an assignment like this is to let you learn while your mind is being engaged by a topic you are passionate about.

Fred

Grandious pontifications should be left to Simon, Spacemule, and I.

sorry the paper is only 3 paragraphs and I am getting a BS in business administration from Southern Wesleyan University through there Adult Graduate Program, you know the one nite a week thing. I want to thank all of you guys for all the input I wish I had a longer paper to write and more time to put into it. I discussed the companies the best I could in 3 paragraphs, the professor is a chainsaw nut so hope my grade reflects it!

Okay, so I thought it was a bigger assignment Kudos to you for getting your degree, and a very useful one at that. I hope you had fun with the assignment, sometimes writing a short paper is harder than a long one.

Latest posts

Back