Help with crooked tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy a

Reaction score
5EA2A92F-1449-463C-9DAE-0E82CF32164B.jpeg 16D60D8E-1C89-4E7D-AC95-525D90896ABD.jpeg 7619868B-68E7-4AAB-AB26-D3E6C921DBE0.jpeg D0DDA4E3-305D-4F55-AB40-A29AB13B24B9.jpeg Hello, there Is a tree growing in my backyard that was planeted by the previous owner. So I don’t know to much about it. I do know it is growing crooked and has what seems to be a stress fracture in the trunk from leaning. I love this tree and would like to know how to fix it. Should I try to straighten it out with some straps? Should I trim some of the bigger branches off the one side? I’m not sure what to do. Thanks to all for your time- Jeremiah

I wouldn't worry too much about the lean. The large lower branch has what is called included bark, it just means that junction is weaker but the tree is small enough that it can easily be dealt with.

What I would suggest you do is what it called a crown clean, that is remove rubbing, diseased, dying and duplicate branches. Thin some of the end weight out of that larger lower branch. Finally, do some light pruning to balance out the crown both in shape and texture (density of foliage).

We always say to prune in the dormant period, but as a commercial outfit, we prune when we get the sale. It is optimal, no, just reality.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lean. The large lower branch has what is called included bark, it just means that junction is weaker but the tree is small enough that it can easily be dealt with.

What I would suggest you do is what it called a crown clean, that is remove rubbing, diseased, dying and duplicate branches. Thin some of the end weight out of that larger lower branch. Finally, do some light pruning to balance out the crown both in shape and texture (density of foliage).

We always say to prune in the dormant period, but as a commercial outfit, we prune when we get the sale. It is optimal, no, just reality.
Should I work about the slitting? So your also just saying clean the tree up a bit and lighten the load on that one side? The tree definitely has more growth on that side

Latest posts

Back