Help with Descending!?!?!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am with yah there Dave! I have done quite a bit of repelling (trees and more!) with just the piranha. It sure wouldn't hurt to back it up, and I would recommend backing it up to others, but that's how I like it. I have to say too man, it is a breeze locking off the piranha. I have really enjoyed using it.

TreemanFJR said:
I am with yah there Dave! I have done quite a bit of repelling (trees and more!) with just the piranha. It sure wouldn't hurt to back it up, and I would recommend backing it up to others, but that's how I like it. I have to say too man, it is a breeze locking off the piranha. I have really enjoyed using it.

My "8" with ears was from Forestry Supply; not sure what it is, but it says USR-840-A on it; it's orange colored, anodized aluminum alloy

Is this the one?

usr840.jpg

This is some of the info that was with it:

Big "8" Rescue Descender- Anodized Aluminum

Color Anodized

WLL* (lbs.) 900
kN 40 Tested • Load Rated
9,000 lbs Tensile Strength

Weight (oz./gr) 9.5 oz. (75 gr)

TreemanFJR said:
Is this the one?

usr840.jpg

This is some of the info that was with it:

Big "8" Rescue Descender- Anodized Aluminum

Color Anodized

WLL* (lbs.) 900
kN 40 Tested • Load Rated
9,000 lbs Tensile Strength

Weight (oz./gr) 9.5 oz. (75 gr)

Thats it. I somehow got a 1/8 in. long nick on it, on the edge of the center hole. Don't tell me I have to throw it away now...

An 1/8'' nick doesnt sound terrible. Is that an 1/8" wide by an 1/8" deep? Maybe take a picture sometime so we can all check it out. But if your backing it up then I cant see why you cant keep using it. You are not anywhere near the working load limit on that.

TreemanFJR said:
An 1/8'' nick doesnt sound terrible. Is that an 1/8" wide by an 1/8" deep? Maybe take a picture sometime so we can all check it out. But if your backing it up then I cant see why you cant keep using it. You are not anywhere near the working load limit on that.

No, just an 8th in. long. I should file it down, 'cause it's enough to catch your thumb nail, so it's also enough to wear the rope a little (but not as bad as spiking your rope :rolleyes: ). I did catch my Arborplex rope on my spike the other day, not with force behind it, but enough to separate the braid. I checked it out, and couldn't find any damage. I'll probably retire that rope soon, as I've had it for around 2 years, but only used it heavily since last Spring.

Latest posts

Back