Help with Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fasttimez

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an Echo CS600P. I let my wifes cousin borrow it, & it came back to me with a broken chain adjuster (he tried to tighten the chain without loosening the lock nuts) & it's running like crap. I've tried adjusting the carb & the idle control but I just don't know enough about carbs to get it right. What is a good starting point for me ? Should I run the low & high screws all the way in & then back them out 1 full turn & go from there ? Where should I set the idle screw at ? My buddy tuned my saw for me when it was new, he trimmed the limiter tabs off the adjuster screws & set it up so that it ran flawlessly. But my wifes idiot cousin told me he was turning the screws because he couldn't get it to start up (idiot ran out of gas & didn't realize it). So now I have no idea where to begin with the high, low & idle screw settings. Can somebody please point me in the right direction. My buddy that set it up the first time has since moved to different state.

Turn screws in slowly to.point when they stop. Then turn them out 1 turn. L and H screw. That is the basic point for the most new saws. Yo can find everything else on youtube what was posted by members on forum about tuning saws.

I'd be concerned that he also put straight gas in it. Might want to do a compression check on it too. Should have let him borrow a chopping axe vice the saw.

You may have to pull the limiters off of the adustment screws befor you can properly tune.

Devil is in the details... he said his buddy already removed the limiters...

You might be better taking it back to said buddy for another tune-up

Nice saw to use as a loaner. Anytime I get asked for a loaner and I don't want to say no, I just give them $100 and send then to tractor supply to buy a wild thing.

They can abuse it, then give me what is left.

ETA: Stop working on it and tell your wife's cousin that he bought himself a chainsaw.

If he wont pay for a new one, then you will have the perfect excuse to never loan him anything. Well, you have the perfect excuse now, but it cant hurt to try and get him to pay for the saw that he damaged.

Take the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder. If it is trashed, he bought the saw. New top end is like 250 bucks on those saws. No aftermarket I am aware of, OEM only.

Don't loan saws or guns. If he doesn't have a saw, he for sure didn't have any personal protection equipment, chaps/boots/helmet.

You guys loaning out your expensive saws are just too nice, and perhaps a bit naive. If someone I know needs my saw, I go along with it and help out.
That or I steer them towards whatever rental shop may be in their area. It's been my experience that anything borrowed is never valued, and certainly not taken care of.

bottom both mixture screws lightly and back out 2 turns,,, if that doesn't get it running a tad better then the next thing I would do,,like it was said,, is pull the muffler to make sure the piston is ok

ohhhhhhhhhh yea,,, if he smoked the piston then your only option is oem,, there is no after market pistons for it

Thanks for the replies guys. I was very worried when he came to pick the saw up, but was pissed when he brought it back with the chain hanging off of it. I asked what he was cutting to have to adjust the chain, he said shrubs because he didn't have a hedge trimmer.....he also said, the chain didn't pop off until I started cutting the vines.....I almost punched him in the face !!!! I ordered the new piece for the chain adjuster ($6) and got that fixed, thats when I noticed the running issue. I told my wife he's an idiot, he denies not taking loose the lock nuts before trying to adjust the chain, but how else do you strip all the teeth off the little pinion gear on the adjuster, unless you're trying to turn it with it still locked down. I have an old cheap Homelite saw I usually use as my limbing/lowner saw, but I had that apart doing general cleaning on it when he asked about borrowing a saw. I'll try the 1 turn out from bottom first, then gradually work up from there. How about the idle screw ? Is there a starting point on that also ? Only reason I ask is because when I started the saw after fixing the adjuster it idled so high the blade was spinning at about 3k rpm. I'm so pissed !!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I was very worried when he came to pick the saw up, but was pissed when he brought it back with the chain hanging off of it. I asked what he was cutting to have to adjust the chain, he said shrubs because he didn't have a hedge trimmer.....he also said, the chain didn't pop off until I started cutting the vines.....I almost punched him in the face !!!! I ordered the new piece for the chain adjuster ($6) and got that fixed, thats when I noticed the running issue. I told my wife he's an idiot, he denies not taking loose the lock nuts before trying to adjust the chain, but how else do you strip all the teeth off the little pinion gear on the adjuster, unless you're trying to turn it with it still locked down. I have an old cheap Homelite saw I usually use as my limbing/lowner saw, but I had that apart doing general cleaning on it when he asked about borrowing a saw. I'll try the 1 turn out from bottom first, then gradually work up from there. How about the idle screw ? Is there a starting point on that also ? Only reason I ask is because when I started the saw after fixing the adjuster it idled so high the blade was spinning at about 3k rpm. I'm so pissed !!!

I'd trust what Steve said, he has more experience with the echoes, two to four out initial setting. I had one I toasted myself, but removing the limiters I lost track of the factory setting.

I have yet to be able to get a definitive answer on that from echo or a dealer, they only talk about with limiters in place.

One option, if you can identify the exact carb model, is go to that carb maker site and look what they say.

that would be fine IF you don't mind chinesse junk,,, a REAL after market pistons are not available for echo saws that I have ever found

That's the first any I have seen. They come out with both P/C, I might attempt to fix mine. Been sitting took apart for quite some time now.

Back