Help With Name For Double Eyed Winch Pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottnc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Saw a 3:1 stump removal set-up on YouTube that used a fabricated pulley (on the stump being removed) with attachment points/eyes 180° apart. It allowed the pulley to be used as an inline coupling while the pulley is left free to function as a snatch block. I'd like to find such a winch pulley but am having trouble doing so, in part due to not knowing what it is called.

Saw a 3:1 stump removal set-up on YouTube that used a fabricated pulley (on the stump being removed) with attachment points/eyes 180° apart. It allowed the pulley to be used as an inline coupling while the pulley is left free to function as a snatch block. I'd like to find such a winch pulley but am having trouble doing so, in part due to not knowing what it is called.
No sooner posted than I found something, a "London Pattern" single sheave block.

Reminds me of when after looking some misplaced Item around the house my wife points out that I have walked past it a dozen times prior to asking her for help.

I have snatch blocks. They have only one provision for a choker/strap be to attached (not counting a rope on the sheave). What I'm trying to find is a snatch block that can be rigged inline and still leave the sheave available. Search "London Pattern" for a visual.

Use "London Pattern Pulley" (or LPP) to search for an image. For my purposes, take two elongated diamond shaped plates. Draw a line from the diamond points to find center and locate a pulley sheave there, sandwichd between the plates. Drill holes in the ends furthest from center to accept through bolts for D-rings/chokers, etc. creating the LPP snatch block. The idea is that this snatch block can be attached in a line of pull while still leaving the pulley free to be used.

The application I have in mind is a 3:1 where the LPP snatch block is hooked to the item to be pulled (lets call it a stump) with a choker. Attach the pulling cable to the other end of the LPP snatch block, then run the pulling cable through another snatch block that is secured to an anchor. Now run the pulling cable back to the LPP snatch blocks pulley and finally to the winch/tractor. This eliminates having to otherwise use two chokers/chains on the stump being pulled.

The only working version of this LPP style snatch block I have seen was on YouTube and it was machine shop fabricated from plate steel. The genuine London Pattern Pulleys I have found images of all have a swivel mounted eye on one end and either a through hole or a D-ring on the other. The eye on-a-swivel looks weak. Not to mention it'd have to come from the UK.

Latest posts

Back