cutting roots in dirt.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, I know to dig first or air spade, but getting laxy in old age.
Removing 4 flowering cherry trees with very extensive roots, some of the roots are a foot in diameter.
Am pulling the entire tree (some 20 in dia trunk, pic) first with winch and blocks (120,000# pull) but there is a LOT of lawn damage when roots come up so want to cut roots below surface without digging.
Is there a clever sharpening angle to file old chains to minimize dulling in dirt? I have any number of old worn out chains, a, using them up filing down to just a 1/16" of tooth left.

Pic note: cable and single block shown was just final pull to break off a cut root, main pull was 4 more blocks - top of stump shows wire strands where I broke my 3/4" wire rope chocker and needed a grade 80 5/8" double chin for choker. Had tired a higher attach point but snapped off the trunk. Figured it took over 100,000# to pull this puppy.
cherry tree.jpg

Short answer no, your gonna kill chains fast, due to the abrasive nature of dirt. Let alone bars and sprockets. Pretty sure a track hoe would be more beneficial for you in removing the stumps and any larger roots. Also makes clean up pretty easy.

Short answer no, your gonna kill chains fast, due to the abrasive nature of dirt. Let alone bars and sprockets. Pretty sure a track hoe would be more beneficial for you in removing the stumps and any larger roots. Also makes clean up pretty easy.
Other 3 trees smaller (6" max dia roots) and less overall lawn damage pulling vs. digging. I do have a bobcat with backhoe would have made this tree easier, but think of the challenge <G> Tracks make a heck of a mess of lawn.
Dug thru my box of scraps, have 4 more chains I'd already 'retired', and using a non-roller tip bar that is also from the 'scrap' pile. Did notice that I need to pull wadded grass roots from the spsrocket area every cut thought. Definitely not a nice thing to do to a saw.

A used Poulan is in the same price range as a carbide chain, and will often come with a disposable bar and an almost-new chain that has never been touched by a file.

Read up about sharpening carbide before getting a carbide chain. You need diamond to sharpen it, and if you're grinding you want to go outdoors and wear a good mask.

Trees are at our church, reason for removing is surface roots so bad interfered with mowers.

One member did have an arborist look at the cherry trees, arborist did recommend grinding (and estimated bid of $2-3k to grind) , I don't have a grinder and local HD wanted near $1k for rental.
Church has been feeding > 1000 (thousand) people a week with 40# boxes of food so both $$ and volunteer time in short supply during covid. I have a private 1/2 acre compost pile for the tree branches.

I have 4 or 5 more chain 'remnants' like this one to use and maybe sharpen a 'few' more times till no cutting edge left.
short teeth.jpg

Dug with a mattock or pick and possibly a heavy fork, most of the roots could be had with minimal disruption to the appearance of the soil/grass.

It's just laborious. If you can loosen the ground with the fork and find the way the roots run, it shouldn't be hard to pull 15-30 foot runs of root.

This is how I approach poison oak/berry/vine removal.

I have a digging fork, light duty mattock, mini hand mattock, and loppers.

Good luck!

I recommend you expand your search for a reasonably priced rental stump grinder. Any other method will cause you heartache and will not do as good a job. An extra hour or two of drive time to the rental store will be well worth it. There is lots of daylight now. You can get a lot done in a 24 hour rental period.

Stump grinders are just amazing. I rented one that would dig down 48 inches.

I recommend you expand your search for a reasonably priced rental stump grinder. Any other method will cause you heartache and will not do as good a job. An extra hour or two of drive time to the rental store will be well worth it. There is lots of daylight now. You can get a lot done in a 24 hour rental period.

Stump grinders are just amazing. I rented one that would dig down 48 inches.
I'd second this. Last one I rented was a toro tracked model. Did quite a few trees at my parents, then 2 stumps at my house and 3 at my brother's. Did it all in about 6 hours from pick up till it was back on the trailer ready to head back. The rental fee was under $300.00.

Trees are at our church, reason for removing is surface roots so bad interfered with mowers.
:omg:

Create mulch beds over the roots and plant flowers/shrubs.

You can add an inch or two of inches of loose soil over the roots without causing significant damage.

Set the mower a lot higher over the root area.

Set the mower a lot higher

LOL - I'd suggested just letting the area 'go natural'.
Pic is a root 23 feet from the tree, has been 'scalped' many times in the last 30 years.
rootmowed.jpg

If you already have the bobcat with the backhoe attachment, I'm not sure how the tracks are going to tear up the ground anymore than what you're already doing. Maybe look at renting a stump grinder that goes on the front of the bobcat, or even just some donated plywood or OSB to lay on the grass. The only other thing I can think of is rent some track pads like landscapers use to put down on grass when they have to drive machinery across it.
Your time has to be worth something, and the timesaving measures could very well be a savior in themselves.

Set the mower a lot higher

LOL - I'd suggested just letting the area 'go natural'.
Pic is a root 23 feet from the tree, has been 'scalped' many times in the last 30 years.
View attachment 914857
A TD9 with root rake wouldn't have tore up that much....but lets have some more pics of that S-10. My first vehicle and your paint job is intriguing me.

Latest posts

Back