Help with new/used stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Olson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to all

I was hoping to get some help on finding parts for a chainsaw I just purchased. It is a stihl 064 and i need help finding a air filter for it, from what I can tell it is the older style filter (more like a screen) I also need the bracket that hold the filter cover on. I did see you can convert these to the newer style filter from the MS660, how hard would that be?

PS I am planing on milling with this saw and any advice on things to do/check before doing anything would be great.

I would go with the new style filter to mill. It flows more air and is easier to clean. If you do a search on here several people have listed the part numbers required. The parts are also available used.

I will search for that, Is there anything else I should do to the saw before mill?

Go to the milling forum. Lots of info there on setting things up such as bars/chains......

I'd go through the saw and clean it up, HD air filter, check/replace other filters, make sure oiler works and turn up to full output. Make sure it hold vac/pressure or it will burn up quick milling. Impulse and fuel lines are cheap to replace too.

He's talking about condition of the bearings, seals, piston, cylinder, carb, oiler, and all the lines and vents.

Throw an old flat top 066 filter base on it with the filter cover and you're set. It will be plug and play. You might keep an eye out for the intellicarb filter base with the vent port for the carb as you'll likely need the one without it. The vent on the base can be plugged if necessary.

I just started looking over the saw and find the comp is only at 60psi also the oil line has been epoxied in (not fixed correctly). Does anyone have a service manual i can buy, i am going to need help.

TAke off the muffler,have a look at the piston and cylinder from there, take the clutch and starter covers off and check up and down play in the main bearings, take notice how smooth or not it turns over without the spark plug , check the spark plug hole threads while you are at it. Find out what you are getting into before you get to much spending because there might be better options. What u could get for it as a parts saw + what u would spend on it might buy a better saw, might not.

TAke off the muffler,have a look at the piston and cylinder from there, take the clutch and starter covers off and check up and down play in the main bearings, take notice how smooth or not it turns over without the spark plug , check the spark plug hole threads while you are at it. Find out what you are getting into before you get to much spending because there might be better options. What u could get for it as a parts saw + what u would spend on it might buy a better saw, might not.

Took the muffler off and the cylinder walls are bad. What might be a good brand for a replacement?

If it's an OEM cylinder, keep it and try to clean up the aluminum transfer. I've been able to salvage the majority of cylinders I tried to clean up. OEM cylinders are superior.

If it's an OEM cylinder, keep it and try to clean up the aluminum transfer. I've been able to salvage the majority of cylinders I tried to clean up. OEM cylinders are superior.

Ok how might one clean it up? Can I hone it and do I replace the piston rings?

Maybe you should start with a pic through the exhaust before removal. One or two of the piston and it may not be possible, but maybe one of the inside back of the cylinder with the piston lowered.

I will take a picture in the morning thru the exhuast port and try thru the spark plug hole.

Is there ANY radial play in the ends of the crank?
I didn't feel any, but I will double check.

Back