Help with Oil Leak on MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsl

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 260 is leaking bar oil like crazy. I have done all of the things recommended in similar threads like checking the seal between the oil pump and the pickup tube, checking the seal on the filler cap.

I need some help with the oil valve in particular. I took a paperclip and poked it in the hole to try and free up the check valve inside it. The problem is I dont get any resistance with the paperclip. Its almost like whatever is supposed to be inside that valve has either disappeared or broke.

Is there a ball bearing and spring inside that little valve or is it some other type of system? Also, what should it feel like when i am poking it with the paperclip?

any help would be great, thanks.

Its an MS260 with the plastic non-adjustable oil pump

If you wiped, sprayed down, and blew off the entire saw, where does the oil come from? The vent is at the top of the tank. It shouldn't let much oil out if it weren't completely full? Maybe your crankcase gasket is leaking

If you wiped, sprayed down, and blew off the entire saw, where does the oil come from? The vent is at the top of the tank. It shouldn't let much oil out if it weren't completely full? Maybe your crankcase gasket is leaking

I wiped it all down last night and left it on an oil absorbent pad overnight. I haven't had a chance to check it yet. I really hope its not the crankcase seal. I used a new gasket and Loctite 518 so I think I'm safe.

I am going to re-examine everything after i check the oil pad to see where it is coming from. I need some shed time anyways!

If there is nothing inside that silver disc then oil will just leak out continuously. It will require replacing. Easy to do if you are so inclined or just take it to a Stihl dealer. The part number for that valve is, 1128 640 9100
I might just get a new valve seeing how I have to pick up some parts at the Stihl Dealer anyways.

PS, where in NS are you? I am just outside of Halifax.

I wiped it all down last night and left it on an oil absorbent pad overnight. I haven't had a chance to check it yet. I really hope its not the crankcase seal. I used a new gasket and Loctite 518 so I think I'm safe.

I am going to re-examine everything after i check the oil pad to see where it is coming from. I need some shed time anyways!
Pg600 has you on the right track. If someone can fix anything on an 026, it's him. I haven't had issues with leaking oil vents so I have no definitive info on their workings.

Now I know. Thanks pg

I might just get a new valve seeing how I have to pick up some parts at the Stihl Dealer anyways.

PS, where in NS are you? I am just outside of Halifax.

I live out in the country East of Dartmouth, quiet lil place called Lake Echo. The valve should be a fairly inexpensive item, easy to punch the old one out into the oil tank, use a 7 mm or 9/32" bolt or punch and insert a new one, tap it gently into place about 1 mm below flush of the cast bar pad.

Latest posts

Back