Help with old McCullochs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple of old McCullochs (300 & 450) and need to find carburetor kits. Both have McCulloch carburetors; 61853A on the 450 and 58856 on the 300. Each has the primer on the side. Any idea where to find kits for these?

Also, I see a 36" ProMac bar on eBay, will this fit my SP125C? The 26" bar on it now also say Pro Mac.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

You won't find a carb kit anywhere for those Mac carbs. They don't exist anymore.

If you want to use the saw you are going to have to swap over to a Tilly carb. I want to say HL but I don't think that is right. Some of those saws came with Tilly carbs instead of the Mac version.

You might also have to swap out the choke and throttle linkages to make it work. It can done, I have done it although it was a few years ago and just can't remember all the particulars involved.

If you check out the Mac 250 over at the CSCC site and see what carb that saw has is the one you will need. Kits are still available for this model carb.

Larry

Last edited:
Bobs lawnmower engine service in NY. has been a great help to me putting my macs back in the wood. His # is (607)-638-9297. Alot of the carbs on that series were mac branded tillotsons, so hpoefully rebuild parts won't be too much of a problem.

I took a couple of pics of my 450 & 300 carbs

The first one is the 450 with the Mac carb, big old thing isn't it. You wouldn't think that big old carb belonged on a chainsaw.Good luck finding a kit for this one.

The second pic is the 300 with an HL Tilly. I think the 300 is the saw I swapped carbs to make it run or it was a 1-? whatever I have in my Mac collection. Whatever, it doesn't matter anyway

If you go this route to swap them over. The linkage for the primer that is on the Mac carb has to be switched for a choke linkage for the HL from another donor saw that has an HL carb in it. The Mac carb used that primer in place of a choke. The parts do interchange among these models.

My 450 does run as is, heck of a saw too. It would be nice to see how good it would perform if the carb was better than it is along with a good piston and cylinder and bearings and didn't have that tiny air leak it has.

I have been trying to track down a Mac 24" bar for this saw also. Those are hard to find too,ones that are still good that is. Those 450's had an odd gauge for the bar .058 & .404 chain. I think. Be nice to swap over to a modern day 3/8 .050

Larry

I have a couple of old McCullochs (300 & 450) and need to find carburetor kits. Both have McCulloch carburetors; 61853A on the 450 and 58856 on the 300. Each has the primer on the side. Any idea where to find kits for these?

Also, I see a 36" ProMac bar on eBay, will this fit my SP125C? The 26" bar on it now also say Pro Mac.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
This may be of some help, lookup item # 19019738915 from a seller on eBay, he also has other Mac parts in his store. Pioneerguy600

Back