help with piston ring end gap direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbgorecom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can I get a a member or members to tell me what is the unwritten rule or maybe written rule on which way the piston ring end gaps should face.
I have a Homelite piston with two pinned piston rings, the piston can go in the cylinder with the end gaps facing the exhaust or the intake. which is the proper or correct way.

Also, I have a manual that states = if you have one pinned piston ring the end gap should face the intake. further on in the manual it also states that if you have one ring and it is not pinned, the ring gap should be in the middle of the exhaust port.

Please, I could use some help, because I have saws and trimmers that have all the above.

thanks
JB :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not familiar with any small two strokes that are not pinned. Usually they are pinned so that an unsupported ring end is not free to expand into a port. Unpinned can be considered to rotate almost anywhere depending on cross hatch.
Some engines will have ring ends located on the divider between exhaust port and transfer but more commonly on the solid space on the cylinder wall between rear of transfers and intake port. Some saws can have ring gap centred over the intake.

If your piston is symetrical front to back aside from ring stops I would calculate where the pins would be in each case. If not coming over a port either way I would choose to put them to the intake direction. Make sure you do not rotate the piston in the cylinder with the rings on or you can get a ring out into the transfer port and be forced to smash something to back out.

Ring ends should be pinned over the intake port. There should be a mark on the head of the piston that would point toward the exhaust port or mag side depending on manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back