Help with saw chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:help:

I'm very familiar with saws and everything that comes with owning them, however, the one thing I could use a little help with is saw chain. What is the difference between all the different types, what works better for what. I just got a Homelite Super XL w/20" bar and am looking for a few new chains. I went to farm & fleet but all they sell is your basic homeowner Oregon chain. I'm looking for something a little more aggressive that might be of a higher quality/last longer when used regularly

If you are going to be cutting clean wood a regular chisel chain is best for this. It is very fast cutting but dulls easily. If your cutting dirty wood you will want a semi chisel or even chipper chain. These dont cut as fast as chisel but will stay sharper longer.

I'm not familiar with anything other than Stihl chain as far as numbers go.

But here it is.....Stihls round ground chisel(RS) is one step below square ground. Works real well, and cuts nice if you can keep it out of the dirt. Where the side plat and top plate meet comes to a 90 degree corner. Very easy to dull or chip off.

Stihls Semi Chisel(RM)(chipper) works very well in all conditions, holds an edge better and longer, is more forgiving in dirty conditions. I haven't noticed much difference in real world cutting conditions between the two. Both are the same price here, and both are extremely easy to file.

All the other chain manufacturers have basically the same design. Some say Stihls cutters are made out of harder material. Some say Oregons price cant be beat..etc.

I think it really comes down to do you want to run chisel or semi-chisel. I try to keep at least one loop of both RS and RM in every bar size I have.

UrbanLogger said:
:help:

I'm very familiar with saws and everything that comes with owning them, however, the one thing I could use a little help with is saw chain. What is the difference between all the different types, what works better for what. I just got a Homelite Super XL w/20" bar and am looking for a few new chains. I went to farm & fleet but all they sell is your basic homeowner Oregon chain. I'm looking for something a little more aggressive that might be of a higher quality/last longer when used regularly

That saw uses 70 links of 3/8-.050 chain. A good one is Oregon 72LP, good cutting chain. The Stihl 33RS is too. Make sure you get 70 links of either and you'll be set. Most any saw dealer can make you a loop.

I would personally go with the Stihl chain. I thinkit is a superior product. A little more chrome and a little harder than the competitiors stuff.

Latest posts

Back