help with splice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveroftrees

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone happy new year. I have a big tenex sling that needs a new splice on the end. Does anyone know of someone that would do this? It is used and Sherrill would not do it on a used sling... Any thoughts? Bob

The original one is coming out. Looks like the twine that was used to hold the splice broke...

I did this one myself. It is easy rope to splice. Just go the Samson web site they have the instructions.
attachment.php

I did not read the whole thing, but when you say "blocked down" do you mean cutting the tree into "fire wood size peices?"
We call it "chunked down."

ADKPK- You might try a locking brummel. It is more secure than the straight bury. I believe this is better for tree guys.

And just to verify, the splice you show in the picture, it is lock stitched in some way, right?

love
nick

ADKPK- You might try a locking brummel. It is more secure than the straight bury. I believe this is better for tree guys.

And just to verify, the splice you show in the picture, it is lock stitched in some way, right?

love
nick

Yes, it is locked stitched. And thank you, make me double check. I made that thing over a year ago and haven't used it yet.

attachment.php

love
nick

Yeah, Tenex is such a loose braid that locking brummel is often used. A straight bury is the strongest, but can easily work loose in a loose braid with repeated load cycling. For that reason you would stitch lock it. Although I think the thread used for stitching is supposed to be quite a bit larger than what adkpk was showing in his. I think Samson has guidance, although a lot of people use some of the leftover strands from the actual rope being spliced.

Since you say the original stitching came loose, you might think about protecting the future stitches with shrink tube or something.

Latest posts

Back