Help, XL 925 Leaky Gas Cap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I was milling a couple of slabs of 20" Cedar slabs yesterday with my SXL 925 gas started spraying out of the relief valve in the side of the gas cap. I had never run this saw long enough to heat it up well. But once it got good and hot the pressure must have built up to a point that it had to find a place to go. Has anyone else ever had this problem? It blew the little cork insert out of the first one. Then I tried another cap off a different saw and it started spraying it out under pressure. Any suggestions?

Your saw most likely needs to be degummed around the bottom of the cylinder.

Remove the upllstart and clean out all of the junk from the pullstart housing, from around the fan(flywheel) and between the fins and the bottom of the cylinder.

There may also be an air gap behind the clutch that seperates the crancase from the fuel tank, this may need to be cleaned also.

I have one disassembled at home but cant check for this (the gap) till after work.

Mine runs hot also. Esp. when its hot out like it is now.

Mine will boil the fuel if your not carefull

Run premium fuel & make sure its running rich enough. You might turn out the H needle just a tad.

Wolves is right on. Make sure she is clean inside & all the fins are cleaned out.

925's are great saws Ive got 4 of them.

Lumber-chef

There is an air gap, and Im pretty sure now after looking at a dismantled saw that yours is most likely full of oily spooge.

Oily Spooge is a good conductor of heat (think deep fryer) and is also partially blocking the airflow through your saw as the air gap goes right through to the fan. This gap was prolly designed this way to pull cooling air through the case to prevent the gas from getting hot.

These saws were all well designed and problems like this are usually simple but can be baffling if your not farmillar with the internals.

Some pics..........

Looking where the flywheel should be.

attachment.php

The clutch side while held up to the light.

attachment.php

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for those pics. They rock.:rockn: I'll let you know when I have time to tear into her a bit. Do you know what kind of mods this saw would benefit from for a milling application?

Ive been dying to research some mods for one of the ones I have torn down, but I dont see much talk of modded reed valve saws.

I know it can be done, and I have some ideas as to what is normally done to reed engines but dont know how it applies to chainsaws.

*edit: Hah, I didnt even know I put that third pic in there.

RaisedByWolves said:
Ive been dying to research some mods for one of the ones I have torn down, but I dont see much talk of modded reed valve saws.

I know it can be done, and I have some ideas as to what is normally done to reed engines but dont know how it applies to chainsaws.

*edit: Hah, I didnt even know I put that third pic in there.
Same here, I've come up with a little info but not alot. It doesn't need much. I really like the way this saw runs, it keeps right up there with my 066. That really surprised me the first time I used it to mill some slabs. Has a lot of low end torque. And the best part is that I picked it up from an individual, not even knowing exactly what model it was, for 30.00(not running). All I did was replace fuel line, filter, and rebuilt the carb. Runs very strong! I'm curious to see how much cooler it will run after cleaning it out like you said.

lumberjackchef said:
And the best part is that I picked it up for 30.00.

DAYUM!!

Were you wearing a mask?

Their a great saw, a little heavier than a comparable new saw but some dont care.

I dont mind due to the fact that your saw (and others with similar symptoms) are proof that their bomb proof.

How many modern saws would withstand being overheated so badly?

I found out about the air gap after my saw was actually too hot to use one day, damn near baked my fingers through the glove.

Shut the saw off and it started smoking BAD from everywhere, yes it boiled what little gas was left. Fun fun with a red hot saw in your hands.....:jawdrop:

My nephew said it was smoking like a mosquito fogger but he thought this was normal and didnt say anything.:dizzy:

Once I removed the clutch I knew the problem right away due to the still smoking blackened oil residue packed behind the clutch and in the gap.

Now whenever I have the clutch cover off I also pull the recoil and blow it out from the clutch side to the flywheel and back with compressed air.

Yeah I know what cha mean, my gas was boiling in the tank and it sprayed onto one of my gloves. I had to take off the glove so it wouldn't burn my hand. And it takes a lot to burn my hands, I really am a chef and play with things that will burn the new guys all the time. In other words were talking HOT! :blob2: But you're right she still fired right up and ran even after that! They don't make em like that anymore.

Latest posts

Back