Helpful technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can't be the first guy to ever think of this, but I have a new technique that works really well for me and wanted to pass it along.

I took down a very large beech and about 30ft of it was laying flush on the forest floor, with no room underneath to cut up. It was much too heavy to move or leverage in any way. I didn't want my blade getting pinched or having the chain cut through to the ground.

I took an old piece of 1/8 lumber and banged it underneath about every 6ft. Then I just cut straight through and my chain hit the 1/8 instead of the ground. Worked great.

The logs that I have to deal with are difficult to apply that method to exactly how you describe it, but it is very valid none the less. What I do is similar to that. Most of the time the logs are sitting on the ground for five years are more so they are not easy to move. Often times I have to dig enough of the ground out where I want to cut and then cut the log in half. When the log is shorter they can be winched or moved a little. I take a solid oak limb or Pine limb about a foot in diameter and make two gradual wedges. Then tap the two wedges from both sides of the log near where I want to cut thus getting the log off of the ground enough to make clean cut. If just tapping some one by wood will get your log off the ground enough to make some clean cuts then for sure you are good to go. You can always use the wedge idea if your cutting get into a bind thus relieving the binding. Thanks

Latest posts

Back