Helping a neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmlefevre

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cutting what I am told is just half of what will be a 20 cord grapple load for a fella in town who was badly hurt a few years back. He can't cut anymore due to his injuries. It's nice to help out and get to use the saws. Just got started the other day. Learned that you have to be really careful moving the logs - and a peavy is a good tool.
61abb311-d86d-6cfe.jpg

61abb311-d896-bcd6.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I wish i had the money to get a few of those loads myself.Hunting for wood gets old and isn't the most reliable way to get it.

I've already cut and stacked a few cord. There's not a lot of room to move though. Cutting mostly ash, shagbark hickory, some maple and red oak.

Man, that was so good of you to help out a neighbor in need. Reminds me of an event that happened many years ago.

A guy had a log load delivered to his house, then dropped dead of heart attack a week later. His widow advertised in the local paper to have someone process the wood for her, and some guy offered to cut,split, and stack the load if he could have half. She agreed.

For a week the guy would show up, work a few hours, then load his truck and head home, and the widow thought nothing of it. Until she noticed that her "pile" wasnt growing much.She asked my uncle to swing on by after work to take a look, and when we eye balled the load, he indicated that of the wood that was still left she should have four cords for her half when he was done.

Fast forward two weeks, and we stopped by after she called. She had less than two cords left, and all the logs were gone.It was clear that the guy had walked off with the majority of the wood.After getting the address, my uncle and I stopped at the guys house, and there we found almost fifteen cords all stacked up. The guy came out, and after the discussion turned to the woodpile, he claimed that more than half of it was from other places other than the widows home. Then my uncle spotted the widows chainsaw sitting in the toolshed.

He offered the guy a deal. Take the saw back, and half of the wood pile, and the sherriff wouldnt get involved. The guy laughed, told my uncle to get off his property, and asked him just what was he going to do about it if he refused.

My uncle was fast.Without even blinking he clocked that guy, and never let up on him. After the guy hit the ground,my uncle gave him fifteen minutes to catch his breath, and then told him to go get his truck and back it up to the woodpile.We helped him load his truck and ours, and returned to the widows home with the wood and the saw. The guy spent the remainder of the week returning the wood.

It took her three years to burn though that wood pile, but my uncle made time every year after that to tend to her woodpile along with our own.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread, but your story reminded me of this event, and in my own way I consider you a good man right up there with my uncle. You sound like good people!

Thanks for the kind words. There have been a lot of people helping this family, but as the time moves past the day of this fellow's accident, now 2 yrs, help wanders. They burn a lot of wood! Upwards of 15 cord a year. We are also looking at windows and insulation in order to reduce wood usage.

61ef4e63-c177-ce8a.jpg

Helping out those in need is always a good thing. I just let all my friends know on facebook to let me know if they need some tree felling/bucking help....just to make sure my chain saw gets a workout.

Heh, I just did the same thing this summer. A good friend of my father's needed a couple small trees down and an half cord split. He insisted on paying, but I told him that I cut wood in the fall and winter when it's cold, and his little job provided a good off-season workout for my saws and splitter. I needed to start them every now and then anyway to keep the carbs and lines clean, and his job was perfect timing. ;)

For the most part, I tell good friends and family that I only charge a cold beer and slice of good pizza. "Pizza" may be interpreted as any food that's known to be good--the homemade specialty of the house, a good local food joint, something from the backyard grill... or just good pizza. And I insist that we eat together.

My uncle was fast.Without even blinking he clocked that guy, and never let up on him. After the guy hit the ground,my uncle gave him fifteen minutes to catch his breath, and then told him to go get his truck and back it up to the woodpile.We helped him load his truck and ours, and returned to the widows home with the wood and the saw. The guy spent the remainder of the week returning the wood.

I'm not a violent person, but I do realize that there are a some folks who only understand a punch in the nose, and it seems that scum was one of them. Thanks for sharing the story, AV.

Thanks for helping the guy out. I wish we had more time to help folks out like that. Before I was consumed with two full time jobs I always made time to help folks out where I can. Now days seems all I can do to keep my faimly in what they need. I expect some day I will get back that way to help folks out a bit more. We try and do good deeds with the business but they never see it that way.

A few years ago my wifes aunt had about 7 cords in log length and her son couldn't cut because he burned up a piston on his chainsaw and couldn't afford to get it fixed on unemployment it was starting to get cold out. So me and 2 other friends went over with our saws and cut and split the whole thing in one afternoon she was so happy she was almost crying. It feels good to help people out.

Last year I happily cut, split, and delivered 10 cord for these folks as I have access to my neighbor's 125 acres of hardwoods. I will say, though, that I was so glad to hear they got a grapple load - no branches - no hauling. It all works out.

Back out cutting today. Half the pile cut. So got and humid here today. Only managed 2 hours. 268xp was giving me fits as well. 51 ran as smoothly as ever....

Back