Here is a pic of our local pros and government

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small tree company would be your run of a mill one crew residential operation; consisting of a climber, chip truck, chipper, groundsmen. Or even more advanced add a bucket and a log truck, and maybe a few additions like stump grinders and bob cats. Most tree companies run one crew, and market too one or two towns.

A small tree company would be your run of a mill one crew residential operation; consisting of a climber, chip truck, chipper, groundsmen. Or even more advanced add a bucket and a log truck, and maybe a few additions like stump grinders and bob cats. Most tree companies run one crew, and market too one or two towns.
add a small crane and a mini skid:clap:

Its hard to run a co. with a shop, good equipment and a crane and a couple crews, when your competition is working out of their backyard with little to no equipment, and only working 3-5 days a week. They will undercut you by half almost always. How do I know? Because it is happening EVERYDAY in one of the best tree markets in New England..........The North Shore of MA.

Wild thread, OK on first topic the trees look bad but not the worst I have seen. On Bradford Pear I have done similiar, bit deeper in the middle to remove more included bark, they might look funny in the winter but they come back nicely in the spring and hold together in the wind. Would not recomend it as a standard practice for tree work. Just some folks like that type of tree and pay to get it pruned every few years.

As for Muni-tree vs private-tree company owner, I am both. Work for the city days and run my own show after work and weekends. Licensed, insured, all legal. City job pays health insurance and mortgage and private pays the schools, food, electric, ect.. Muni job is thank-less task, management has no idea about tree work and usually very little about management. As for killling yourself physically on a muni job, does the word semi-retired hold meaning? There are days when muni-workers earn their pay, storms, nightwork, etc, but it is not like production work. Muni-work is all about politics, take care of the complainers so the noise does not get upstairs. There lies a major difference between privates and muni. On a private job, citizen can be screened before doing the work and if necessary ignored. Pack up and drive away. Does not happen with muni-work. Does not matter how obnoxious the public gets, job still has to get done. Other difference with privates is the ability to walk away from hazard job and give it to some one else. Muni-job usually does not have the same option, there is no one else. Depends how you look at it but they both have ups & downs, no pun intended.

On to other sub topic about small business, this country was built on small business, the difference today is that many are not legal. Pricing work just to pay for gas, beer, smokes without overhead is what is killing this industry. As much as ISA and TCIA do to help educate the public about trees and safe work practices, they need to take some membership $$$$ and start focusing on the hack tree services that keep popping up killing the legit companies.

Rant over, nuff said:)

You make a lot of good points Dada. You'd be one of the few here who can actually comment intelligently on both sides of the current derailed arguement.:clap:

Teamtree this is your thread. Have you looked into who did the work? If it is on public land it could be the muni-crew or they could have subbed it out. Have you tried to contact the people in charge to find out why?

As far as me working for Boston Bull is concerned, that is just crazy:dizzy: I like the hours that Diltree keeps waaaaaaay better

Did anyone notice the sign?

attachment.php

Well this thread is going no where.

My final point would be this and it doesn't really matter what Donny O and others like him think about small companies or how easy it is to run a small tree service. I am a small company and out of about 15 competitors in my area there are only 2 that give a #### about proper tree care. If I am ruining the industry that is fine with me. I accept it.

My company was much larger at one time and had 3 crews running. However, at the end of the day the 2 crews I was not on caused more damage and cost more money than any crew I was on. I cared about the finished product and not causing damage. I also hustled to get the jobs done under budget. So I went back to one single crew and I hire part-time guys for larger jobs. We can handle almost any situation that comes up and can rent tub grinders and hire out cranes (last time I checked you do not need a crane to prune or fertilize trees). I also live in a rural area where in a 70 mile radius there are probably 100k people.

I started this thread to get people's thoughts on something that was done to public property. OTG and Boston Bull started to talk about muni's and "easy gigs". I said running a small company is not the easiest gig. I did not say anything about their jobs. I admit it is tough to work for a muni or run a large company. I am sure you guys in the big cities have it tough with all the bs you have to put up with. I hate going to the city to work. Too many headaches. Being an employee is simpler than being an owner is my main point. Some small company owners care about their work and employees.

Yes, we are checking into who did the work and why. Pretty sure it was sub'd out but not positive.

I am a member of a group who is trying to educate the locals on why topping is so bad. As someone from Purdue U. told me, our area is one of the worst as far as topping goes in the whole country. I am trying to change that.

Yes, there are many people who happen to own a small company that ruin the industry. I suppose if I am lumped into that category and don't take the criticism lightly, I apologize. I care.

Well of to the cold. Have a good day gentlemen.

Last edited:
Its hard to run a co. with a shop, good equipment and a crane and a couple crews, when your competition is working out of their backyard with little to no equipment, and only working 3-5 days a week. They will undercut you by half almost always. How do I know? Because it is happening EVERYDAY in one of the best tree markets in New England..........The North Shore of MA.

Amen.....its happening here in the Worcester area as well.....and don't worry OTG if you ever loose your job, I'm sure we could find some use for a guy like you:greenchainsaw:

I also think this was a great derailment

I started this thread to get people's thoughts on something that was done to public property. OTG and Boston Bull started to talk about muni's and "easy gigs". .

Ummm, no we didn't. I believe it was an esteemed moderator JPS and hornett22 that brought up the easy job thingy. I was defending my job because it AIN'T easy. And my buddies know how hard I work so they defended me:) .

I do apologize for the slight derail but asked some legit questions in my last post.

So, how 'bout it?

We are looking into who did the work. It could have been one of there road crews but I doubt it. They could not get the trees to look that even. You should see some of their work for clearance. Wow....talk about stubs.

I am trying to get some support before I go and talk to any of the county commissioners (by the way, a few of them top there trees). I doubt if I really do anything about it. I sent some emails to some connections I have around the county and the general attitude is 'oh well, could be worse'. I even tried to get the state arborist association to help out and they gave me the "educate the client" routine. I wish the ISA and TCIA would try a little harder to educate the public with some of our dues. I am just not feeling things will change in this area. So much so that I am exploring the possibility of locating and joining a bigger company so I do not continue to "ruin" the industry.

i don't recall saying you had an easy job.

Ummm, no we didn't. I believe it was an esteemed moderator JPS and hornett22 that brought up the easy job thingy. I was defending my job because it AIN'T easy. And my buddies know how hard I work so they defended me:) .

I do apologize for the slight derail but asked some legit questions in my last post.

So, how 'bout it?

i have no idea what your job includes or even is.i just know around here they have an IRS attitude and don't do much.i'm sure each municipality is different,especially state to state.just gets my goat that the town,state ,or feds can tell you what to do on your pproperty.i also said MOST,not all when i was reffering to government employees.i guess you're going to hear what you want to hear no matter what.

Back