Here's muh tree video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was on a helicopter unit. I've not seen any of our W. Warshington fallers get that elaborate. They usually just lay their saw under a tree and maybe throw a green raincoat over it and their gear. The helicopter guys were from Montaaaana and Idaho. That picture was taken at the tippy top of the unit, and it would be quite a nasty hike every morning if you had to pack your gear in.

But, definitely a low impact job.

Nope, I always stick my saw in a tree or hang it from a limb. I left a saw on the ground up near Downieville (RandyMac knows about Downieville) and a snake crawled up alongside it and wrapped itself all around the handle bars and clutch cover during the night. It wasn't quite daylight when I discovered that.

Laugh if you want to but I swear that snake was six feet long and as big around as a Pepsi can. At least that big. Matter of fact that snake gets bigger every time I think about it. I didn't see it until I'd picked up the saw and he came slithering out and took a wrap around my arm.
It's amazing how far you can throw a snake if you wind up a couple of turns like a discus thrower and then let go. The screaming probably helped too.

The saw goes in the tree. Every time.

Nope, I always stick my saw in a tree or hang it from a limb. I left a saw on the ground up near Downieville (RandyMac knows about Downieville) and a snake crawled up alongside it and wrapped itself all around the handle bars and clutch cover during the night. It wasn't quite daylight when I discovered that.

Laugh if you want to but I swear that snake was six feet long and as big around as a Pepsi can. At least that big. Matter of fact that snake gets bigger every time I think about it. I didn't see it until I'd picked up the saw and he came slithering out and took a wrap around my arm.
It's amazing how far you can throw a snake if you wind up a couple of turns like a discus thrower and then let go. The screaming probably helped too.

The saw goes in the tree. Every time.

Funny story there Bob! I can imagine the squealing! LOL! Man down here in the durty souff, waaay back in the cedar glades we don't hardly ever set a running saw down on the ground for any length of time. It has never happened to me but I have always heard that poisonous snakes are attracted to the vibrations the saw gives off through the ground. I have however had my measuring stick on the ground for a bit and reached to get it and there be a copperhead laying there! NO FUN! Then ya got to get him killed before he disappears into the leaf fodder!

I used to haul A LOT of square bales every Summer...ya just never get used to alive snakes baled up when you reach up to throw the bale on the truck at face level and they strike right towards you! NO FUN there either!

Back