Here's something you don't see everyday.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
and for good reason! A whole truck of honeysuckle wood.

Made some trails through my woods to get out the dying ash in the future and chipped anything that was under 1 inch or nasty. Stuff isn't worth much heat wise but I'll save it for the beginning or end of a future season.

MVC-001S_4.JPG

MVC-002S_4.JPG

MVC-003S_4.JPG

Guessing around 3/4 of a cord. Most probably wouldn't bother, but i'm nuts, I admit it!

MVC-004S_4.JPG

Some of it was pushing 6 inches in diameter.

What do you do with the chips?

I've been burning brush piles of 20' long sticks and they get tiring after about 5 hours of working them down for a full burn.

You have to eliminate the honeysuckle from your woods, otherwise it will completely take over. Unmanaged, your woods will be nothing but honeysuckle in 100 years.
Around here when it gets bad, foresters will douse the whole woods with herbicide and practically nuke the place. Otherwise they just come back.
Honeysuckle is not something you want to turn your back on. You will regret it, or rather your children and grandchildren will.

What do you do with the chips?

I've been burning brush piles of 20' long sticks and they get tiring after about 5 hours of working them down for a full burn.

Just blew them on the driveway and off to the side. They had some of the red berrys(seeds) on them and really didn't want to spread it around for other stuff. I've chipped a lot of the other brush and have given it away (for the use of the guys dump trailer) and Mom and Dad wanted some for their garden and such. When we clear fencerows I'll still burn it, Pushing the windrows with a backhoe but for the yardwork and single tree cleanups I love the chipper. I can blow a whole tree into a single truckload as opposed to hauling 10 loads of brush away.

You have to eliminate the honeysuckle from your woods, otherwise it will completely take over. Unmanaged, your woods will be nothing but honeysuckle in 100 years.
Around here when it gets bad, foresters will douse the whole woods with herbicide and practically nuke the place. Otherwise they just come back.
Honeysuckle is not something you want to turn your back on. You will regret it, or rather your children and grandchildren will.

The driveways will help me make a dent in the stuff but it will be a slow process. I can at least bush hog those to keep them open now.

I'm guessing that is Japanese honeysuckle. If so that stuff is bad news, will choke out all desirable plants/trees. I think I read it will even poison the soil to some plants. It should be killed down to the root. You might want to read up on this invasive rascal.

+1 for doing your woods a good favor, and that stuff will burn; I don't pass up the smaller stuff in my woods either, no honeysuckle here, but there's usually some smaller diameter hardwoods either standing dead or on the ground that I see as I'm cutting the larger stuff for firewood, and since I have the tractor and trailer handy, that smaller stuff always goes along for the ride, can't stand to have it rot on the forest floor when I can get heat out of it for minimal effort........never met a BTU I didn't like.

Latest posts

Back