Hey Troll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A father/son landscaping outfit uses them for the firewood business; 50-60 cords put by in the fall for the following year. They're both big guys: 6'-1", 6'-3" @ 250 lbs., so toting a boat anchor around all day doesn't much bother them. So the 290 does the job for them; never interested me much, though.
50-60 cords/yr with a 290??? Them boys need to wise up..Not that i'm gonna tell them that:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm still not sure why that saw is so popular. I have a Husqvarna 350 that's a lot more enjoyable to use than our 290.

Because the vast majority of people who buy 290's, and 455's and so on, want a tool to do a job. They're reliable and reasonably priced for what they do - and a means to an end

I believe the MS 250 and MS 290 are Stihl biggest sellers

Here is the MS 290 (3/8's 20" b/c) I rebuilt for my Uncles farm the only problem is he thinks it's to loud but his grandson sure likes it

052_zpsa6d71fd5.jpg

50-60 cords/yr with a 290??? Them boys need to wise up..Not that i'm gonna tell them that:hmm3grin2orange:

Happened to run into the father at the dealer one day when I was picking up my 440. I pointed to the 440 and said anytime he wants to bring someone on the job with a real saw, just give me a call. Everyone had a good laugh. We've known each other since we were kids.

Happened to run into the father at the dealer one day when I was picking up my 440. I pointed to the 440 and said anytime he wants to bring someone on the job with a real saw, just give me a call. Everyone had a good laugh. We've known each other since we were kids.
If they would cut the next 60 cords with a 440 or 441...it would be like going from an S-10 to a Cadillac Escalade.
Not saying that the 290 isn't a good saw....just that 50-60 cords a year is asking a lot of it.. They are using a home owner saw for pro use.
IMHO they would be better off using a 362 or 562 better yet a 441 or 372...

If I had to chose between a MS250, and a MS290, I'd quit cutting and buy firewood. :msp_wink: I really can't think of anything good to say about either one of them.

I've had them both, and I still have an 026 that's a pretty decent little saw, but I still grab the Husky 350 more than any other saw I own.

I had a low hr. MS290 sold to a neighbor who brought me his CS400 to work on. Chain was tooooo loose came off and wedged in the safety tip. Being neighborly I did a MM on it. Cost me the sale. It woke up so much he decided he didn't need a bigger saw. I like em and I will have one to go along with the 2-CS600P's 2012 models.
Shep

Clever marketing + dealers pushing it. It is not a popular model outside the US.

Actually Niko the 029 and MS290 is/are a huge seller in Australia as well. They are a good old reliable design. The only people that think they're crap are those that have used better saws of which there are many. Most saw owners and users are happy if the thing starts and cuts wood - AS member sort of buck that trend a bit :cheers:

I had a low hr. MS290 sold to a neighbor who brought me his CS400 to work on. Chain was tooooo loose came off and wedged in the safety tip. Being neighborly I did a MM on it. Cost me the sale. It woke up so much he decided he didn't need a bigger saw. I like em and I will have one to go along with the 2-CS600P's 2012 models.
Shep

Same thing here, a guy brings in a 029 that was miss adjusted by a dealer, turning about 20000 rpm . I let him use one of my CS400 saws and sure enough he wanted to trade even up which I did as I has $85 in that Echo. Sold the 029 for $200, all it needed was the carb adjusted. Steve

Troll

I got on the Stihl side of this Ford/Chevy/Dodge a long time ago. That being said, I have noticed a lot of adds for Huskeys at Northern and other places with low prices and in small print (Factory reconditioned) for chain saws. To me that says that if the factory has to rebuild that many saws to be resold there might be a slight problem with them. Am I all wrong thinking this way? BTW-------------I am a Ford/Nissan/John Deere/Coke/McDonalds/Mac/Mall/Stihl/local store vs WalMart/Jay Leno/Dewalt/Makita kind of guy.

Ray

Last edited:
I got on the Stihl side of this Ford/Chevy/Dodge a long time ago. That being said, I have noticed a lot of adds for Huskeys at Northern and other places with low prices and in small print (Factory reconditioned) for chain saws. To me that says that if the factory has to rebuild that many saws to be resold there might be a slight problem with them. Am I all wrong thinking this way? BTW-------------I am a Ford/Nissan/John Deere/Coke/McDonalds/Mac/Mall/Stihl/local store vs WalMart/Jay Leno/Dewalt/Makita kind of guy.

Ray

There shouldn't really be any "brand wars" - you really have to look at the specific models that you compare or comment on, not the brand name on them.
However, there are some development trends that is hard to completely overlook, and there are some pretty hopeless brands out there. Stihl or Husky isn't among those, but that doesn't keep them from making some pretty crappy models. If I don't like a model I speak up about it, regardless what brand it is - not just when it is a Stihl model.
There are many Husky models that I don't like, but of course the Stihlheads never notise it whan I post about that....:msp_rolleyes:

...I have noticed a lot of adds for Huskeys at Northern and other places with low prices and in small print (Factory reconditioned) for chain saws...

You are seeing those saws bc-

NT/Lowes/TSC is selling thousands. Many of which are bought and returned when the job is finished or are bought by inept users who shouldn't be allowed to buy a saw in the first place. They take it home, put the chain on backwards, and then flood it. They then return it and it is sent back to the mothership who resells it as a refurb.

There shouldn't really be any "brand wars" - you really have to look at the specific models that you compare or comment on, not the brand name on them.
However, there are some development trends that is hard to completely overlook, and there are some pretty hopeless brands out there. Stihl or Husky isn't among those, but that doesn't keep them from making some pretty crappy models. If I don't like a model I speak up about it, regardless what brand it is - not just when it is a Stihl model.
There are many Husky models that I don't like, but of course the Stihlheads never notise it whan I post about that....:msp_rolleyes:

Well said, and I will add that I see lots of newbie diehard Stihlheads who are gradually educated to the virtues of Husqvarna and Dolmar and and renounce their Stihlheadedness...there's a thread going on right now from someone who has fallen in love with the Swedes.

You are seeing those saws bc-

NT/Lowes/TSC is selling thousands. Many of which are bought and returned when the job is finished or are bought by inept users who shouldn't be allowed to buy a saw in the first place. They take it home, put the chain on backwards, and then flood it. They then return it and it is sent back to the mothership who resells it as a refurb.

Well said, and I will add that I see lots of newbie diehard Stihlheads who are gradually educated to the virtues of Husqvarna and Dolmar and and renounce their Stihlheadedness...there's a thread going on right now from someone who has fallen in love with the Swedes.

Yes that would be me. I agree with troll that you have to look at models not makes alone.

to neal's point
friend was at tsc about a month ago. noticed 2 lil huskys sittin on the shelf marked "$25 as is" both brand damn new. when he asked about em was told the chains wouldn't stay on. he grabbed em both! wrong chain for the bar. i can never get that lucky.

Actually Niko the 029 and MS290 is/are a huge seller in Australia as well. They are a good old reliable design. ......

I wonder if ST thinks Australia is part of the USA ?

Latest posts

Back