Hey Troll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do wants to try me one of them 600's though.

After some proper 'tweaking' of course. :msp_thumbup:

Hell even I can answer that one, that don't know any better.........

No answer there, they know better after they use it. Kinda like Troll would answer, no sense at all. The true ones that don't know better buy the number 1 selling saw based on bs hp numbers and perceived quality that has went away. the Stihl MS290. The it's a Stihl mentality. Steve

Last edited:
No answer there, they know better after they use it. Kinda like Troll would answer, no sense at all. The true ones that don't know better buy the number 1 selling saw based on bs hp numbers and perceived quality that has went away. the Stihl MS290. The it's a Stihl mentality. Steve

:D Not much MS290 mentality to be found here...:msp_sneaky:

Look at my sig line. I do like Stihl products though, they usually bring WWWAAAAAYYYYYYY more than they are worth when I flip them.......

I'm still not sure why that saw is so popular. I have a Husqvarna 350 that's a lot more enjoyable to use than our 290.

I think pro stihls are awesome saws, especially the 044, 046 and 066. Problem with em is the price, justified or not. When I buy used, I want a runner in good condition. I can never find one like that in my price range, 'cause, unfortunately, generally I don't suck

Look at my sig line. I do like Stihl products though, they usually bring WWWAAAAAYYYYYYY more than they are worth when I flip them.......

Your are correct that is the only reason I buy them. The only reason I run them is to make sure they are sound. As sound as a stihl can be.:laugh::laugh:

I know that the Farm Boss is much loathed machine around these parts, but my father-in-law has an 029 that must getting on 20 years old, maybe more. That poor thing has not lived an easy life, left with bad fuel in it for Lord knows how long at a time, not sure if it has ever been properly/completely tuned, and is generally neglected just about every way that you can neglect a chainsaw. It never seems to fail him, always starts and does exactly what he asks of it. It has cut a boat load of firewood, and has dropped many a tree with it. He's got two chains that he runs until they make smoke, never mind hot dust, and then drops them off at the local OPE to be ground to the nubs to salvage them. My F-I-L is a guy who is easily swayed by marketing, and maintenance is not the first thing he thinks about when comes to anything other than his saltwater fish tank, and that saw keeps on trucking. I'm not saying that I think they're great, but it's pretty darn hard to knock that kind of reliability. I get why pro users don't like them, big and bulky with a pretty poor power to weight ratio, but it seems that they have made many a homeowner/hobbyist very happy. Just my $0.02.

Ms290

I'm still not sure why that saw is so popular. I have a Husqvarna 350 that's a lot more enjoyable to use than our 290.

A father/son landscaping outfit uses them for the firewood business; 50-60 cords put by in the fall for the following year. They're both big guys: 6'-1", 6'-3" @ 250 lbs., so toting a boat anchor around all day doesn't much bother them. So the 290 does the job for them; never interested me much, though.

Latest posts

Back