Hi and Thanks For Your Help!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'm about 2 1\2 hours south of Bristol. It's been 2 years since I went to the race, wife is a big NASCAR fan. I wish she felt the same way you do about whats hanging in the barn. :wink2:

She'll understand bettern mine--you have a barn. I got some saws in the house and The Dragon Lady isn't sure they match the decor.

Welcome

I have met Cajuns and I know a lot Hillbillys,but I have never met Cajunhillbilly.:smile2:
Welcome aboard and here's a rep.

Cajunhillbilly, welcome aboard! This is a word of caution from another newbie on here. I was told the same thing about the shotgun and chainsaw when I moved to my place a year ago......the postlady dropped off 5 new(to me) saws today, and I have two others already on the bench. It does become addicting, but the way I see it, there are LOTS of worse ways to blow some coin on addictions. My wife may not understand, but at least I'm not glued to the TV playing them newfangled video games or sitting in the tavern down the road. I think men just like to build stuff, big or small, and make noise. I chalk it up as a primal urge akin to cave men beating mammoths with their clubs and screaming to attract a suitable mate.

Enjoy the addiction, and don't hesitate to ask questions....just do a search first to see if it has been posted before, otherwise these guys may retract their reps to you.:msp_razz:

Nick

Saw your AS name and having flown floatplanes all over southern Louisiana was trying to figure out how the mountains played in. Then I noticed the East TN part. Ah, now it all makes sense. Quite a change in topography for sure. I love mountains. (and Cajun food). Don't have either here in this part of Georgia.

I have to cook it. Their is some selection in the markets but not the good stuff. My daughter, still in LA, sends me the things I need to really get the down home taste. Boudian is something I can't make, it has to be shipped in dry ice, OH! and boiled crawfish is impossible too but a local "Rib Shack" yes BBQ joint does a boil once a year and does a great job with um.

I have met Cajuns and I know a lot Hillbillys,but I have never met Cajunhillbilly.:smile2:
Welcome aboard and here's a rep.

Thanks to everyone for the REPS which is new to me, not on other forums I read. I gave out some REPS myself but reached a 24hr limit, so I maybe I should be a bit more selective but thanks again for the help and welcome.

Cajunhillbilly, welcome aboard! This is a word of caution from another newbie on here. I was told the same thing about the shotgun and chainsaw when I moved to my place a year ago......the postlady dropped off 5 new(to me) saws today, and I have two others already on the bench. It does become addicting, but the way I see it, there are LOTS of worse ways to blow some coin on addictions. My wife may not understand, but at least I'm not glued to the TV playing them newfangled video games or sitting in the tavern down the road. I think men just like to build stuff, big or small, and make noise. I chalk it up as a primal urge akin to cave men beating mammoths with their clubs and screaming to attract a suitable mate.

Enjoy the addiction, and don't hesitate to ask questions....just do a search first to see if it has been posted before, otherwise these guys may retract their reps to you.:msp_razz:

Nick

Yes I got bad I know, you worse lol. 5 new uh, I wish. This whole fixing old saws started because I couldn't spend 1K on a new one. Maybe when the lotto hits that I am scheduled to win any day now. My wife is the one with the "club" in my case. We hit a lot of yard sales and fleamarkets on Saturdays. I can spot a chainsaw, especially a broke one, from 100yds. She yells "Moth to a Flame!!!" out loud. Also, I'm not a big drinker, hate the bar scene and don't play games at all, a few on my phone sometimes when I'm waiting on the wifie in WallyWorld. I don't like being inside the house when work is slow either. Just a fun hobby in fall\winter, not so fun when its 105 dgs though.

Someone mentioned the 031 I have. I attached a photo of it with a 24"er on it. How does everyone here feel about Forester bars? I think a Stihl needs a Stihl bar on it to look right, same goes for others brands too but it was $69 with the chain, local shop, which fits my wallet right now. A lot of guys around here talk good about them. The 031 pulls it in red oak just fine but its going on the 041 when it gets running unless I can find a Stihl bar for it at the price I have in mind. I have a 009L on the bench right now.:clap:

View attachment 209042

Not sure where you're finding all those Stihl, they can't be had around these mad parts for nuttin'. It may be a real long time before I come up with one to work over. Everything around here has a very high price, no matter what the condition. Best I can hope for would be a garage sale on one of the military bases when someone is moving, but that can be a real zoo. Unless you're a real purist, put whatever bar on there you can afford, and run it like you stole it. Not like anyone can read the bar when it's hubbed in wood and throwing chips, but they sure can see that orange and white.

Not sure where you're finding all those Stihl, they can't be had around these mad parts for nuttin'. It may be a real long time before I come up with one to work over. Everything around here has a very high price, no matter what the condition. Best I can hope for would be a garage sale on one of the military bases when someone is moving, but that can be a real zoo. Unless you're a real purist, put whatever bar on there you can afford, and run it like you stole it. Not like anyone can read the bar when it's hubbed in wood and throwing chips, but they sure can see that orange and white.

My wife and I hit the fleamarkets and yard sales every Sat. during the summer. I keep and eye on CL also. I have to say I have some unbelievable luck with finding great saws for very very little money. I get most for under $20. I did trade some old tools that was given to me on one lot of saws, had 2 Stihls in it. Another which had about 8 saws for $75. I think my luck is running a little lean right now. Nothing real good in a month or so. I don't know anything about Hawaii except its the most beautiful place on earth next to where I live, lol. There is yard sales everywhere. I have lived in several different areas of the country and by far the most junk selling ever here, a pickers dream. Right now, or has been, a lot of people cleaning out barns\garages for cash. I never pass on Stihls, Huskys or old Poulans, But I don't have enough money to buy um' all.
I do run all of mine, sold quite a few to keep the buying habit going, one I regret now. Nothing in the collection pretty enough to sit on the shelf, they scream "RUN ME" every time I go out there. If for some reason a meltdown happens, I don't have much to lose in them. So far so good (knock knock) and the old ones run like hore from church. I wish you good luck on finding those gems.

I don't how I overlooked this thread. Welcome to AS, CHB, that's a nice collection of saws you have (rep forthcoming).

What's the big Poulan on the right?

208973d1322524894-112511142215a-jpg

Thanks. Its a 245A on the right. I want to paint it first before decaling it. I plan to do the same with the 4200 and 3400 some day.

Welcome aboard and you've gotten off to a mighty good start with the collection. Ask around and somebody knows somebody who has an old two-man gathering dust in a barn!
You'll be needing a few saws with Float carbs before you're done.
Igpoe:cheers:

The next time I go to Winnie for the big flea market, I'll think of you when I get some fried gator :msp_thumbup: at Al T's.

Ya hurt'n me. I can't get that in the hills. I do from time to time, but very scarce. Enjoy my friend.

Welcome aboard and you've gotten off to a mighty good start with the collection. Ask around and somebody knows somebody who has an old two-man gathering dust in a barn!
You'll be needing a few saws with Float carbs before you're done.
Igpoe:cheers:

O'My!! Will it get that bad? I did look and a David Bradly a week or so ago but passed on it...for now.

Heh, I see a Poulan Pro in there. That was my first saw and it's been a very reliable worker.

The Poulan Pro isn't part of the family anymore, I think she went to a good home though. A Poulan s25da is new to the group, might not be here long either. My 009L project is running now, with new rings, it seems to be real strong but there is still more to do before I decide to keep it or not.:msp_biggrin:
Dean

Latest posts

Back