Hi everyone 038 magnum all stock my question is in this shape what’s it is worth ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a low hour unit there. I’d say anywhere in the $400 to $600 dollar range. Of course if you look on eBay you’ll likely see prices close to double that but at that point a 462 starts looking really good.
Are we aloud to sell saw here or not??

What does "used up" mean?

6 months with a tree crew, and it just won't be worth chasing parts to fix it back up... versus buying something newer and easier to buy parts for. That's why I suggested he post in the chainsaw forum. Time is money, and for a pro crew running old saws just isn't cost effective. For a homeowner or enthusiast, it's a good saw, but too much trouble to maintain for a company.

It's a good looking saw, but it's an 038... no pro is going to buy it aside from nostalgia... too tough to find parts, and it will be used up in 6 months... way better to post in the chainsaw forum.

I got a filthy 038M from a logger friend in 1998. Carb and recoil were so caked with crud it would not start. I cleaned it up and it ran fine. Needed an air filter but ran so good I got a new 25" ES bar and 33RS chain. Since then I've replaced the fuel line, tank vent hose, and went through a bunch of chains and drive sprockets. It's still a go to saw for me cutting firewood.

Was that saw "used up", 25 years later?

Plenty of parts are still available for the 038 mags. They’re still being made in Brazil just not available in the states anymore. It’s now the MS382. That saw will take a year of logging use and maybe need a set of rings. The 038 is a very well built, durable saw. Based on what I’ve seen it’s the newer saws that don’t seem to last as long.

Is that how long a Loggers saw last 6 Months?

My personal saws last years, but on a residential crew, they start getting pretty beat up fast... plus, when I was maintaining 20 plus saws, I only wanted 3-4 different models, just for ease of maintenance and training.

"6 months with a tree crew, and it just won't be worth chasing parts to fix it back up... versus buying something newer and easier to buy parts for. That's why I suggested he post in the chainsaw forum. Time is money, and for a pro crew running old saws just isn't cost effective. For a homeowner or enthusiast, it's a good saw, but too much trouble to maintain for a company. "

I don't think anyone would imagine pros buying an 038 to run professionally. I don't think that has anything to do with the saw not lasting...it is just not what those guys do (as per my observations).

But, the contention that the 038 would be used up after six months...

If the new owner changed out the rubber bits...a great-condition 038 would last as well in 2023 than it would have when they were built. I have not encountered any issues with parts aailability for my 038M.

Roy

"6 months with a tree crew, and it just won't be worth chasing parts to fix it back up... versus buying something newer and easier to buy parts for. That's why I suggested he post in the chainsaw forum. Time is money, and for a pro crew running old saws just isn't cost effective. For a homeowner or enthusiast, it's a good saw, but too much trouble to maintain for a company. "

I don't think anyone would imagine pros buying an 038 to run professionally. I don't think that has anything to do with the saw not lasting...it is just not what those guys do (as per my observations).

But, the contention that the 038 would be used up after six months...

If the new owner changed out the rubber bits...a great-condition 038 would last as well in 2023 than it would have when they were built. I have not encountered any issues with parts aailability for my 038M.

Roy

How many hours a day do you run your 038?

Back