HI Lift Jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjett84724

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Let me start this off by saying I am not really sure if this belongs here or not. I was cutting firewood when this happened so maybe?
The wife, kids and I were up cutting wood. We had the truck loaded up to the gills with oak. :givebeer: We drive down the road to this beautiful oak grove where we like to make our dutch oven dinner. My daughter realizes that we forgot the dog.:censored: He is little and easy to overlook.:D
My wife drops me off to light the fire and goes back to get him. About twenty minutes later, Shauna (my wife) comes walking back down the road. She tells me that the truck has a flat. :censored: :censored: :censored: I
walk back to where the truck is parked and the right rear tire is FLAT. Big gash in the sidewall. Worse, I follow her tracks and see that she drove off of the road to hit the sharp branch that cut the tire.
My spare, jack and star wrench are in the back of the truck half buried. :dizzy: Lesson learned there. Next time pull the spare, jack, and star out before loading the truck. I dig the spare and jack out and start to change the tire. I go to jack the truck up, and Oh my hell, it's heavy. Long story short, I get the tire changed and start to let the truck back down. On the first stroke of the jack handle, the handle comes up and smacks me on the side of the head. When I say smacks me, I mean WOW. I am looking for Mike Tyson because I got popped. I was loopy for ten minutes. My step-son, who was watching, told me he thought I was going down. :buttkick: Now he knows the old man can take a punch.
So be careful with those jacks. I had both hands on the jack handle and it came up fast. I never saw it coming. So be careful. By the way, if you find my hat and Oakleys send them back to me. I did not even realize they were missing until I got home.
Lessons learned:
1- Don't let wife drive truck.
2- Unload tire, jack and necessary tools before loading with wood.
3- Watch out for Mike Tyson in the woods. Because he hits hard.

Sounds like it should be a Murphys Law commercial.Things like that happen to me alot. I just have to remember them and learn from them.:dizzy:

Where was your video camera? You could be a rich man for taking that shot.:dizzy:

It wasn't because you had wood on the truck. Those jacks have a lot of force when you are lowering a vehicle with them. NEVER put a body part (especially your head) in the line of the jack handle when lowering with that type of jack.

That's one of the first lessons I learned when I started driving (12 yrs old). My brother jacked up his truck and then started lowering it so that he could show me how much force that jack handle had - he let it go and BOOM! it smacked the upright with enough force that I never forgot that lesson.

Glad to hear that you made it out relatively unscathed.

Lots of strong men have been whooped by a Bloomfield

LOL A Bloomfield jack is one of the handiest tools on the farm and trail.
I have a 4 foot beam on mine. If I was stuck in ruts I could jack the jeep up by the bumper way high then push it sideways off the jack. Do both ends and I am no longer in the ruts.. I am surprised no one has mentioned splitting wood with one here yet. LOL
But man you got to watch the handle they will knock you silly.
We call em Bloomfield jacks cause that is where the good ones are made..Bloomfield Indiana, the cheap knockoffs we call crapjacks.spend the extra 20 bucks and get a good one.

I know a couple guys with store bought teeth from the handle of a jack and got to catch a couple minutes worth of a nap when one that was sitting for ten minutes took the notion to chase me down. Not a pretty sight but like other file that under a lesson learned.
Jon W

LOL A Bloomfield jack is one of the handiest tools on the farm and trail.
I have a 4 foot beam on mine. If I was stuck in ruts I could jack the jeep up by the bumper way high then push it sideways off the jack. Do both ends and I am no longer in the ruts.. I am surprised no one has mentioned splitting wood with one here yet. LOL
But man you got to watch the handle they will knock you silly.
We call em Bloomfield jacks cause that is where the good ones are made..Bloomfield Indiana, the cheap knockoffs we call crapjacks.spend the extra 20 bucks and get a good one.

i live 7 miles form the jack factory.....i have lifted tons of stuff out of stuck places....if anyone needs parts let me know...first thing you learn with them is keep anything you like away from the handle:jawdrop: ...best jack ever made!!

Wait until one starts to let the load down on you. Or slips out sideways from under the bumper just about the time you get the tire off the ground.

They are notoriuosly called Widow Makers. I have a great respect for them and keep clear of the load too once it gets in the air, now.

I don't like the Hi Lift or the Handyman jack for any reason..they have both killed a lot of people. My dad used them off and on in a pipe plant operation for years. There he usually had a flat surface.

When I have used (not any more, ever) I usually did not have dry flat piece of concrete. And the :censored: :censored: thing would slip out from under what it was lifting. Injuries? Yes. As an EMT we were called out to a fatality because of the :censored: :censored: POS.

On a lighter note, glad you did not get hurt worse. And yes, keep all the emergency gear where it is easy to reach. You won't need it 99 out of a 100 times, but when you do......:clap: Don't be mad at your wife, she knows where you live.

I do use the handle of the POS H L as a cheater to break bolts/nuts loose.
It does serve some purpose.

Kevin

I use a 60" Hi-Lift on my Jeep. I've always been cautious around them. Last summer I got hit hard and got a slight concusion. I met another fellow jeeper that lost his eye from one. They are dangerous but if used with care they can get you out of alot of trouble.

When I was in Cub Scouts (many, many years ago!), we were on a campout and the supply truck got a flat tire. Helping to change the tire, I was operating the Handyman jack and didn't have a good grip on the handle when I let it down. The handle cold-cocked me under my jaw and my mouth filled with blood. Remarkably, even though I saw the entire galaxy of stars, I didn't have a broken jaw or even loose any teeth. Handyman jacks are handy tools, but be careful with them!

It wasn't because you had wood on the truck. Those jacks have a lot of force when you are lowering a vehicle with them. NEVER put a body part (especially your head) in the line of the jack handle when lowering with that type of jack.

That's one of the first lessons I learned when I started driving (12 yrs old). My brother jacked up his truck and then started lowering it so that he could show me how much force that jack handle had - he let it go and BOOM! it smacked the upright with enough force that I never forgot that lesson.

Glad to hear that you made it out relatively unscathed.

The jack is designed so that the force you need to lift is the force you need to get it down. The force is in there when you unlock it. so remember that and HOLD ON TO THAT HANDLE NEXT TIME. It ain't hydraulic.

I use a 60" Hi-Lift on my Jeep. I've always been cautious around them. Last summer I got hit hard and got a slight concusion. I met another fellow jeeper that lost his eye from one. They are dangerous but if used with care they can get you out of alot of trouble.

Yeah those jacks are real scetchy. I have strapped them down before I got near them.
I have a HIGH LIFT brand jack but its to heavy, I just quickly modified an old 1970's bumper jack to do the same thing, its light and fits in a tool box. Guess what I call it?
Sometimes you NEED that HIGH LIFT though, then its time to watch out!

i use them to move sheds and i can tell you that the will whip past your head at 200 mph if you dont watch them great tool if u r carefull
also great to pull out a stuck jeep

Back