Hi-Ranger F5i-48 Won't Raise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49Chief

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Hi-RangerF5I-48 bucket lift on a 1985 F700 Ford will not raise or lower unless I hold in the "Emergency Stop" button while operating the control valves on the base tower (or on the bucket). Worked fine a month ago. Outriggers function fine but no power to the boom controls in the bucket or the base. Normally after I squeeze the hand control trigger on the bucket the boom works fine. Now nothing--unless I hold the Emergency Stop button in. It's been about 3-4 years since the filter was changed. I plan to change it this weekend. Fluid level is fine. Any ideas on the problem and how to fix it? Thanks.

Those things have an air actuator system that drives the safety. There can be a crack in the line or a blocked air intake or a bad air plunger seal.
I'm just guessing here since its been a few years since I owned one but this was a common problem.

So if you drop a branch on the lower controls you will completely loose control of the bucket.
That is the sort of thing OSHA can put you in jail for.

Yes very true I do have an on off switch up top for the engine though so I can stop the bucket. Yes its against OSHA regs so is a lot of stuff that is done by many peeps. I'm not telling anyone to do it I just mentioned its been done, generally to finish the day and repaired once we got back. yes wrong but hey

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Just for the record:
There was a Printer who had a big press. The lockout was disconnected for some reason. A worker was working with it and got crushed to death.
They owner of the company was brought up on manslaughter charges. The charges didn't stick but not after costing him 2 years and a few hundred thousand $.
Have said this, I had to tape my override down once or twice as well.

Those things have an air actuator system that drives the safety. There can be a crack in the line or a blocked air intake or a bad air plunger seal.
I'm just guessing here since its been a few years since I owned one but this was a common problem.
Thanks for this info. Do you happen to recall where the air actuator system is located? Is it under the turntable? Is there an air tank associated with it? Where could I find the air plunger seal? Sorry for all the questions; is there a service manual available for this? Thanks!

Mine was on the inside of the turntable, no tank that I know of. You should contact Terex to get a manual.

Mine was on the inside of the turntable, no tank that I know of. You should contact Terex to get a manual.
They can send me a manual for $150!! Does anyone have a manual out there who can tell me about the air actuator system or can send me a copy of the diagram and how to service it? Any help appreciated.

Latest posts

Back