Hi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Mac Guy

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Hi, J-Red. Welcome to the forum. I'm kinda new here myself and don't really know everyone here yet.... I've got one Jonsereds 520SP among all my Old Mac's. It was given to me by a friend and I have only cleaned it off and done some general prep and tried one time to start it.... it coughed, belched, spat and f**rted a few times (kinda like some of the other guys in here.... Did Thall ever make it down to Ozzieland??:confused: ) but she didn't fire up.... I set it up for storage until I can really focus on it for a day or so.... Seems like a friendly little mid-sized saw.... kinda nice to have for something different to fool with... and the price was right!!

From what I've read here and elsewhere, there are some good chainsaws amongst some of the older JohnsonReds. Good luck with yours!! You'll find a lot of expertise among the guys here in this bunch... if you ever hafta work on it or need parts or literature...

Whatcha need to do, to kinda round out your group, is get a 1950's Mac (a 5-49 would be nice... or a 77 :clap: ), and maybe a Eclipse Wasp... and a Remington 754.... and a coupla Homelite 4-20's... and a dozen or so other Homies... then a Root or two.... and then.... :greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
J-Red said:
Thanks Sawtroll for the link to the 6xx discussion... There seems to be some question as to when this model line was introduced and whether or not later saws had more power? The 670 was the competition saw? At any rate my '84 was one of the earlier 630 models. Anybody have a chainsaw dyno?
There really isn't much to discuss about the power output of the early 630s, but a misprint on CSCC made room for some misunderstanding. The output was rated as 3.1 kW/4.2 hp - not 3.1 hp -
right Eric? :hmm3grin2orange:

The Competition saw were initially the 670 Super, that at a point was renamed 670 Champ.

Last edited:
J-Red

J-Red

ArboristSite Lurker
Here's the little darlin'... I also got a service manual off eBay- arrived today. I've been mixing my gas at about 32:1 but the manual recommends 50:1 @ 93 octane. Maybe that explains why it smokes a little more than I like?

ed92056b.jpg

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I believe that may be the case.

My old 621 calles for 1:25, but it has been run on 1:50 Aspen (alky petrol, premeixed with synthetic oil) for many years without any problems.

When I once tried 1:25 it smoked a lot, and didn't run as good as it use to.

Here is a Jonsered service manual from 1996, that covers the 630, 670 and a lot of other models. Is it the same one as you got?

Here is an IPL from 1996 as well. However, as your saw is older, some parts may differ.

Edit;
I believe that the higher oil content suggeted for older saws to a large degree reflect the quality of the availiable oils at that time, and not necessarily that the saws really needed more lubrication than the modern ones - Nikasil coated sylinders were first introduced on some saws in the late 1960s....

But be careful, some knowledgable people like 1:32 even in modern saws, at least the larger ones.

There is no simple answer to this question!

Last edited:
Just Mow

Just Mow

Don't touch my Willie !!!
welcome J-Red, I am new here myself. I heard about the site from some arborist friens that I made working the ISA show. I have enjoyed it so far and it gives me something to do on the road.

J-Red

J-Red

ArboristSite Lurker
Well, I had all the best intentions of getting to the fair Sun. but plans for a fishing trip on Sat. just got moved to Sun. So now I HAVE to go fishing on Sun. It's a tortured life I lead. :cry:

I bummed, Robert, I was all giddy to see that v-8 monster. :( I'll have to be there Sat. afternoon now... I'll look around but you probably won't be on the grounds until Sun.?

Just Mow, thanks for the welcome- I stumbled on this site looking for info on my saw... It gives me something to do at work ;)

Last edited:
bsjonny520sp

bsjonny520sp

ArboristSite Member
520sp

Hello Does anyone have any info on the jonsered 520sp
the tag says 1983 anybody know hp or cc
The 520s rip pretty good
anyboy else like these saws too?

Latest posts