Hickory Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanSchamber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys i need a little info and input. I recently have been clearing a woodlot for a farmer and I just took down two nice shagbark hickories that are real straight. I'm interested in having the wood milled into boards for some future projects.I talked to a guy that runs a small sawmill and he is interested in some horse trading. I won't need all the lumber and he doesn't have much hickory on hand at this time. Can anybody tell me what a fair percentage would be for a win win for both of us. I'm getting him measurements on the logs soon. I will state log measurements and can someone give me a rough figure on board feet? Thanks.

Log #1- 98" - 23" large end 19" small end
Log #2- 114"- 19"L X 18" S
Log #3 - 137"- 18" L X 15" S
Log # 4- 149"- 23" L X 22" S
Log # 5 -103"- 22" L X 18" S
Log # 6 - 165"- 18" L X 16" S

Excuse my slang and inexperience speaking of logs and measurements. The end measurements are DIB. Thanks for everyones input. Bryan

hey brian thanks for your post! you will find an interesting calculator for figuring out the amount if one of the others doesnt post that will take care of that soon.
win~win:rock: tell the farmer you did some farmin of yer own here on AS, some good advice available for both of ya! keep us posted, remember them trees have been there a longtime...whatever the situation ends up will be well worth its weight. select markets for the logs can be sourced.

I couldn't bring myself to cut them into firewood. The grain is beautiful. I know hickory is a lttle tough to work with. We just put in a whole new kitchen and went with natural hickory. The grains and natural streaks just stand out. Remodeling and updated alot of things in house and will possibly make some into trim. I've looked at these trees for along time and the property just changed hands. They were coming down for a few more acres to till. It was either get the wood or its going up in a big bonfire.

Guys i need a little info and input. I recently have been clearing a woodlot for a farmer and I just took down two nice shagbark hickories that are real straight. I'm interested in having the wood milled into boards for some future projects.I talked to a guy that runs a small sawmill and he is interested in some horse trading. I won't need all the lumber and he doesn't have much hickory on hand at this time. Can anybody tell me what a fair percentage would be for a win win for both of us. I'm getting him measurements on the logs soon. I will state log measurements and can someone give me a rough figure on board feet? Thanks.

Log #1- 98" - 23" large end 19" small end =120
Log #2- 114"- 19"L X 18" S =120
Log #3 - 137"- 18" L X 15" S =100
Log # 4- 149"- 23" L X 22" S 250
Log # 5 -103"- 22" L X 18" S =110
Log # 6 - 165"- 18" L X 16" S =140; Total 840

Excuse my slang and inexperience speaking of logs and measurements. The end measurements are DIB. Thanks for everyones input. Bryan

By my rough calculations.

I've milled a bit of hickory, bugs get into the logs very fast, so the logs need to be milled ASAP after felling,

orig.jpg

I don't mind milling hickory at all,

orig.jpg

I like to keep a bit of it around,

orig.jpg

Anyway, if i have to come get the logs, i'm keeping 2/3 of the lumber, if you bring the logs and they are clean, i'll keep 1/2.

Rob

Thanks everyone for your input. First time dealing with a mill and green lumber . Will keep you informed. Been searching alot of the do's and dont's on stickering, stacking, and painting ends. Alot of good info on here. I'm going to do everything i can to keep the integrity of the wood and put it to good use. I'm sure i'll have more questions so please be patient.

Back