hickory nut trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO dependable way I know of. The nuts can be pruned off while they are forming, to alleviate the litter nuisance and damage from falling nuts. I do this annually for a couple of walnuts over driveways.

Yes it's labor intensive, but cheaper than fixing dents on a Lexus.:mad:

Also cheaper than removal and replacement.

Send me the nuts. We have absolutely no hickory trees around here and would love to try and grow some. Have 60+ acres to grow trees on!

tazz001 said:
Send me the nuts. We have absolutely no hickory trees around here and would love to try and grow some. Have 60+ acres to grow trees on!

if you're serious, i could probably send you some this fall. we've got tons of them, to the point that in the fall, you have to be careful in certain areas that you don't sprain you're ankle slipping on them. not sure what all varities we have (other than shagbark), but we have tons of them.

I'll take you up on your offer of some nuts

Hi CJ, I would be interested in some hickory nuts. I plant 10ft x 10ft plots of nuts, allow the little saps to fight it out, and then pick the dominate one for a tree. My thought was to tranplant some of them but got lazy. I currently have bur oak and black walnut plots. Planting nuts is an easy way to establish a tree and not have to worry about weeds due to being shaded out.

Brian

kyle1! said:
Hi CJ, I would be interested in some hickory nuts. I plant 10ft x 10ft plots of nuts, allow the little saps to fight it out, and then pick the dominate one for a tree. My thought was to tranplant some of them but got lazy. I currently have bur oak and black walnut plots. Planting nuts is an easy way to establish a tree and not have to worry about weeds due to being shaded out.

Brian

no problem, just remind me this fall or I'll forget.

kyle1! said:
I currently have bur oak and black walnut plots. Planting nuts is an easy way to establish a tree and not have to worry about weeds due to being shaded out.

How do you keep the squirrels from digging up your nuts? Or, do you just plant so many that it doesn't matter?

I have been doing alot of time-consuming micromanaging to my bur acorns (float test, fridge time, planting them in milk jugs, transplanting them in spring), and if I could just mass plant them in the fall with just as good a result, I'll do that instead.

Last edited:
I'll try to remember CJ

I live on 5 acres and have the luxury of being isolated from neighbors by large fields of corn and soybeans. This isolation also limits squirrels. I see probably 1 or 2 squirrels a year. My land is dominated by silver maple, thorny honeylocust, hackberry and mulberry not a good food source for the bushy tails. With my MS280 tree eradication is slowing happening and the goal is to replace the invasives with native hardwood. My plots are very well seeded 1-2 5 gallon buckets worth. The rabbits/deer cause me the most grief:mad: with their girdling.

For my seed I float it, then soak it in water overnight and plant it the next day. The winter is my scarification. I use a shovel to skim off an inch of soil, add seed, replace dirt and cover with mulch. The mulch keeps weeds out the first year then 2nd year the trees shade the weeds out because there is so many of them. I have planted white/bur oak, hackberry and black walnut this way.

CJ's offer of hickory nuts is great. There is not alot of hickory around and the animals beat me to the seed most of the time. Variety is good :cool:

See ya

Brian

Latest posts

Back