Hickory question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluequill56

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may be a little off topic, but since you guys deal with hickory alot I thought someone here might be able to help. This spring I was helping clear some land trading, labor for firewood. Got several very straight 6-8" logs 8-9 ft long. My 8 year old was eyeing them, then asked if I would build him a small log cabin instead of cutting for firewood - he's always loved log cabins. Got plenty of fire wood already, so I said sure. Here's the question. Over half are hickory. I have heard that hickory doesn't hold up well long term when exposed to the elements. Any truth to that, especially since they'll be off the ground? Also, as they have sat over the summer, it has become apparent that a few of the hickory logs have an infestation of somekind. 1/8" holes with sawdust so fine it looks like sand coming out. Cut one open and there are white larva about 1-1/4" long inside. Sounds like powderpost beetles, but I didn't think they affected wood after it's been cut. Anything else it could be? Will that cause the logs to rot prematurely, especially since it's hickory? Is there a danger of further infestation? Can I treat these logs with anything? I'd hate to waste the time or build something that won't last or be safe. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hickory makes excellant tool handles.It also makes trim boards and furniture that has a nice light brown color,very pleasing like pecan,of which it is the same species.

It is a toss up about it's ability to take weather between it and maple,both are lacking in that department.

For some reason unknown to me,hickory of all species draws ants,they love it.Most windfalls are caused by ant infestations that weaken the trees.Fact is,I had a 100 foot windfall last fall that yielded several large saw logs of around 24 inches diameter and several cords of firewood.It seems to my observation that the ant activity ceases once the wood is dry or at least slows down.

At any rate hickory would not be a good choice for a log cabin.

Your boys only going to be a little for a short time. Anything you use will last long enough and be safe to see it through the childhood years. I wouldn't waste hardwood though. Use some pine.

I agree

Hickory is some of the best firewood out there. But with that being said it will not take weather well.Up off the ground with the bark off will be a better method of storing it. But yes Powder post beetles love the stuff.. Burn the hickory and use some pine for his cabin.

Appreciate the advice. Sounds like I'da wasted alot of time. But now he's sold on the idea of a cabin, so I've gotta make this happen. I'm in east central Illinois, and pine is fairly hard to come by around here. Anyone know any mills or other places in Illinois or Indiana where some pine could be purchased or cut? Don't mind driving a few hours if I have to. And always looking for a reason to run the saws.....:rock:

Sawmill slabs on a 2X frame make a great cabin, pine will last several years.
edge them off so there's an inch or so of wood on the edge and they go together tight.
Overhang the roof and rain's no problem.
Elevate on concrete blocks or bricks.

Buy some poplar

Poplar will last for many years outside, providing the bark is removed. And as long as it is not down against the dirt.

Appreciate the advice. Sounds like I'da wasted alot of time. But now he's sold on the idea of a cabin, so I've gotta make this happen. I'm in east central Illinois, and pine is fairly hard to come by around here. Anyone know any mills or other places in Illinois or Indiana where some pine could be purchased or cut? Don't mind driving a few hours if I have to. And always looking for a reason to run the saws.....:rock:

Cyprus is the best red ceder next pine last resort.

Well,you are going to cut a whole bunch of logs if you are going to make a cabin.On that subject though I've seen squared log cabins made of white oak that are 150 or so years old and still sound,white oak lasts for a long time.Fact is I have some white oak rail fence that is likely a hundred years old.

Now,on a practical side,if you can find find them,western red cedar power poles would make a long lasting structure that would itself likely with stand a hundred years.Often times,depending on the location,the utility companies will give them away free of charge.

In another place on the internet,there is an enterprizing gent on the west coast that uses regionally grown tree tops and discards from logging companys and builds some exceptionly nice timber framed buildings.His work is nearly an art form.

There are several small saw mills in this neighborhood. Kirkland, IL. has one, and is probably only a couple hours away from you. There is another one west of there by about 40 miles as well. A google search should help ya.

Back