Hickory Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this is related to the original topic asking a question about types of hickory how?

Might want to review your previous posts before ripping someone for being "off topic".

Hey there crybaby, I thought you left?

I was out at the hunting grounds this weekend and had a few tree questions. We had some trespassers on dirt bikes tear up the place, I mean they made signs and stapled them to the trees fro turns and everything. Anyway, my buddies dad grabbed a chainsaw and started dropping trees along the path they carved thru the property. I watched and he used mostly dead ash trees or live maples. But there was one tree I had no idea what it was. It was smooth barked, but had a hickory looking leaf. He dropped a couple of those. I asked what it was and he said "oh, that's just a pig nosed hickory" like it was not a good tree. I know he wouldn't just drop a shag-bark like that.
Is that tree not that good?
I figured any hickory has to be good, or is more like a silver maple is a maple, but not a good one?
He is a bit of a tree snob, he only burns red oak, about 3-4 face cords a year in the fireplace...not for heat.
Anyway, I was just curious about it, because there was a lot of it out there.

Just as a refresher, there were several sides to the origonal post, (read the above quote) I picked the one that struck a chord with me. What would you advise about the wood be?

We might as well discuss this as you have obviously been overcome with an argument that you simply cant deal with. I was not the one who brought trail blockages into the discussion.

Again, I ask you whats your point?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I would have replied sooner but I was too busy wiping the tears from my face.:hmm3grin2orange:

RBW this may come as a shock to you but I agree with your point about giving people more places to ride as part of the solution. The recreational immunity statute I mentioned is, in part, how Wisconsin deals with the issue. The public policy behind the statute is to encourage private property owners to open up their land for recreational activity. This is why snowmobile trails wind their way through private property all over Wisconsin. The compromise is that those same landowners enjoy a certain amount of immunity from civil liability if a person is injured while on one of those trails. If I owned a large enough piece of land, I would have no problem allowing people access to it for snowmobile riding, trail riding, hunting, etc. as long as people are respectful of the fact that it is not their property. Even now with three acres, my neighbor's kids run their ATV and snowmobiles through my property. The key is they asked first and they are careful not to cause damage and/or have offered to repair damage (patching up worn grass, replacing a tree they ran over). I would even let you, RBW, ride on my property. I would even take the steel cable down for you.

And no I won't offer an opinion on the type of hickory. The only thing I know about hickory is I don't have a stick of it on my property.

Contrary to what you probably think, I have enjoyed the give and take and have at no time been offended by what you have said. OK maybe the crack about possibly being a divorce attorney stung a little bit. At times, I felt like I was debating Don Rickles or Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. Interesting and enjoyable.

Last edited:
This thing about peoples property is long reaching.When I was a teenager very little of this farm land was posted to no hunting etc.After a period of vandalism of having fences cut so the stupid dog could go through or holes shot the farmers machinery and a few dead cats and dogs used for target practice,this all changed.

Because of a few people most of these lands are post now.

Along the same lines are the trailbikers and sledders.Some thought it great sport to chase the farmers cattle with a bike.The farmer didn't see it that way,nor did the cow for that matter.

Now back to the hickory,great firewood,strong planks,nice trim boards.Doesn't take weather worth a hoot though.If you are going to use it for firewood,do so in a timely manner.It will sprout mushrooms in about a year or so if you don't.

At times, I felt like I was debating Don Rickles or Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. Interesting and enjoyable.

That's a very nice cable, for me to poop on! (If you know who Triumph is, you'll understand.)

P.S. I wish I had a hickory on our property, virtually nonexistent in my area. I did have an uncle further south who wanted to taste the hickory nuts from the tree in his yard. He couldn't crack them open, so he put a bunch in his driveway and drove over them with the car.

More land to let riders ride would be great. But there will never be enough, in a lot of peoples eyes. I would think that you could build a pretty good sized enduro course on 150 acres, right? Well, they did that one year, but they realized they wanted more, and that is where the problem arose.
Trespassing is a form of stealing, they are stealing the use, or misuse of the property for their own greedy enjoyment. I think 75% or more of dirt bike/quad riders would love to have a nice big track spread over 150 acres. Not the guys on the adjacent property, they wanted what we had too.

RBW, you can defend it anyway you like. I can cut down all the trees on the property if I like, if you or anyone else gets hurt on something on my property meant as a trespassing deterrent, or simply as something I felt like doing because I like to hear my chainsaw run and love to see chips flying, then it's your fault for going somewhere not only are you not invited, but asked verbally and thru signs to stay off of. I'm sure you'll bring this up at your next ACLU meeting and we will be sued to open up this private land to the public, because we are infringing on everyone else's pursuit of happiness or whatever you guys scheme at your meetings.

And the original QUESTION was about hickory, the rest was more of a rant and the underlying circumstances that lead up me wondering about the different types of hickory trees and their use as firewood.
Thanks to those that helped answer my question, and if anyone has a firewood rating chart that has more than Shag bark Hickory on it, I'd like to see it.

That's a very nice cable, for me to poop on! (If you know who Triumph is, you'll understand.)

P.S. I wish I had a hickory on our property, virtually nonexistent in my area. I did have an uncle further south who wanted to taste the hickory nuts from the tree in his yard. He couldn't crack them open, so he put a bunch in his driveway and drove over them with the car.

Shag Bark Hickory is my favorite firewood, followed by Honey Locust and then White Oak. I'm sure my preferences will change over time. Hickory dries out very predictable for me and makes a fire I can heat the house with in January

:popcorn:

PA Plumber, thanks for the links. It looks like the consider all the hickory to be the same, since they don't list them separately, except on the log weight calculator. Good to know, that's really all I wanted to know, how pig nut compares to shag bark.

I'm sorry, I would have replied sooner but I was too busy wiping the tears from my face.:hmm3grin2orange:

RBW this may come as a shock to you but I agree with your point about giving people more places to ride as part of the solution. The recreational immunity statute I mentioned is, in part, how Wisconsin deals with the issue. The public policy behind the statute is to encourage private property owners to open up their land for recreational activity. This is why snowmobile trails wind their way through private property all over Wisconsin. The compromise is that those same landowners enjoy a certain amount of immunity from civil liability if a person is injured while on one of those trails. If I owned a large enough piece of land, I would have no problem allowing people access to it for snowmobile riding, trail riding, hunting, etc. as long as people are respectful of the fact that it is not their property. Even now with three acres, my neighbor's kids run their ATV and snowmobiles through my property. The key is they asked first and they are careful not to cause damage and/or have offered to repair damage (patching up worn grass, replacing a tree they ran over). I would even let you, RBW, ride on my property. I would even take the steel cable down for you.

And no I won't offer an opinion on the type of hickory. The only thing I know about hickory is I don't have a stick of it on my property.

Contrary to what you probably think, I have enjoyed the give and take and have at no time been offended by what you have said. OK maybe the crack about possibly being a divorce attorney stung a little bit. At times, I felt like I was debating Don Rickles or Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. Interesting and enjoyable.

Hey Guse,

I enjoyed our lil mental masturbation session also, glad you took no offense as none was ment, I just get onery sometimes.:cheers:

Sorry about the divorce lawyer line, it was all I had at the time. I knew along time ago that you weren't a "D" lawyer, your too civil and have too much intelligence for that type of work.

I would be more than happy spending a day with you riding!

We could round up the ACLU and take all the boys over to that grumpy assed goofs property and ride till were dizzy.:clap: Heck, we could even invite Al along, hes more fun than a barrel of monkeys most days.

Joke:

Why do they bury Lawyers 18' underground?

Cause Deep Deep down their good people!

As far as the land use issue, 99.9% of the property that GNCC races are held on is private land. You must be a registered member of the AMA and have insurance to compete at even the lowest levels, so lawsuits are rare and dealt with swiftly.

Al the states do is make Excuses as to why they cant do more for OHVers. Most people I know would gladly par $300-400 pre year in registration fees to simply have a decent place to ride. The flow of people admitted could easily be dealt with by having a lottery, reservations or simply the old Odd Even deal that they had during the gas crisis in "73".

Theres a solution to everything, you just have to want it.

As to you Mr Goof, youll have to excuse me for being on your internet. I thought in my feeble lil mind that since you brought this issue up and were on your rant that I could have a lil rant of my own, kind of point counterpoint. (or count pointercount if you prefer)

Cut down your trees its your land (or is it?), string up wire, that will teach them! (or will it?) As I stated, this was probably a mistake on the part of the people who set up the course. Im convinced it was a sanctioned course, as no one in their right mind would spend the time to mark and clear a course for weekend riding, its just foolish to expend that much effort considering that those machines can easily ride right through most types of brush and would beat it down in a matter of days.

I could easily direct you to some of the more prominent organizations that over see this sort of thing and try to have your wrongs redressed, but you seem stuck on yourself and your righteous attitude so youll have to beg now.

Also, a simple call to the local sheriff would have made this matter go away for you, but you cant call them now cause theyll tell you to clear the trail and that would take all the fun out of it for you.

People do make mistakes, thats what this seems to be more than anything. Ive always believed that a man should forgive and look on a problem with a clear mind rather than taking matters into his own hands, but you have to make your own decisions and deal with the consequences of your actions.

But dont worry, these racers are a responsible bunch and they will have pre run the course the day of the race and cleared the offending obstacles before anyone could be injured.

You may feel that what you did was a stroke of genious, but this battle has been going on for 40yrs and the racers have seen it all.

As they like to say, never underestimate the power of stupid people in small groups.:monkey:

BTW, whats the ACLU?

Last edited:
Well Wolfie usually around these parts ,if you know the people and don't destroy their property and farm crops,they usually don't object to sleds etc or trail bikes either,but ya gotta ask.Actually there has been so little of winter snows most people that are really into it go to the U .P.of Mich.

Now I could be mistaken but I do believe that in the State of Ohio you can run the sleds on the road ditchs.To be quite truthfull,I live where the hoot owls romance the chickens and nobody really says any thing if the ride on the roadways,legal or not.

No thanks for the invite,I think for the most part the ACLU is a pimple on the
azz of this country .I suppose though somebody has to speak out ,I just don't agree what they are speaking out for most of the time.

The winters around here have been tough, and I know that you can access 100's of miles of snowmobile trials in the summer for bikes/quads to go ride. I know that the property adjacent to ours is also hunted, which makes no sense to let anyone tear it up the way they did, as a hunter. And the property, while not mine, I help maintain, is used for hunting, the occasional tree felling either for firewood, or to thicken the woods up, to promote better hunting, especially since we have ash trees dying all over. We figured better to have them on the ground then standing dead. So, trees were cut down and left to rot long before dirt bikes came into the picture.

Again, RBW, I and my friends are not intending to hurt anyone, and the trees are all at about waist height or lower, and when the branches brake I'm sure they will be an obsticle, not a blockage. The snow fence is bright orange and placed between any open areas in the trees, so if someone hits it, they aren't paying attention.

As for being a grouch, not the case, I just have little tolerance for ignorance, especially when voiced with absolute resolve, whether misguided or not.

I mean, who would put goof as their id if they were gumpy?

Ok, I had to throw my 2 cents in on this. . . first let me start off by telling you that I am an avid snowmobiler, and have gone four wheeling with friends that are into that. Next I will inform you that I am a landowner. But most importantly I am going to offer my opinion that ANYBODY that takes these sports onto others property without permission deserves anything that may happen to them, wires included. I do not pay $40/acre per year in taxes for the neighbor who only bought 3 acres of land to ride all over my 40. Now I will also say that if any person of reasonable stature were to come to me and ask if they could "ride around" on my property I would more than likely grant them permission, provided I am not liable for any injuries associated with such activities. I have personally dealt with the situation in the past, and absolutley will not let anybody ride if they have done so before asking. I am best friends with a couple of the adjacent landowners of my property, even then I have asked permission to cross their line to retrieve a wounded deer. Of course their answer is "you know you don't need to ask" . . . but it's the right thing to do.

Oh, and please don't get the idea that I am some old timer that is set in the old ways. I am 26 years old.

I have an update. After visiting the police, and they intern contacting the property owners, it turns out that the people hunting and riding on their land are trespassing there too. The owners, two doctors who bought the land as an investment, said they have never given anyone permission to hunt there and never would, just for the liability sake. So, these people decided that the better part of 500 acres of land was there's to do as they please.
And to top it off, on of the local guys that was told he could hunt there with one of the originating trespassers, said that in the last 2 years the original group of either 4 or 5 have killed 40-50 does and let them rot in the field!
Needless to say, the police are going to be watching it more closely, and will be asking the DNR to look into the hunters being out there without permission, which I believe constitutes pouching.
Needless to say, I think our problem is solved, and I'll be getting some good hickory out of the woods come winter! Talk about win-win, no all I need is a nice 8-10 pointer!!

I have an update. After visiting the police, and they intern contacting the property owners, it turns out that the people hunting and riding on their land are trespassing there too. The owners, two doctors who bought the land as an investment, said they have never given anyone permission to hunt there and never would, just for the liability sake. So, these people decided that the better part of 500 acres of land was there's to do as they please.
And to top it off, on of the local guys that was told he could hunt there with one of the originating trespassers, said that in the last 2 years the original group of either 4 or 5 have killed 40-50 does and let them rot in the field!
Needless to say, the police are going to be watching it more closely, and will be asking the DNR to look into the hunters being out there without permission, which I believe constitutes pouching.
Needless to say, I think our problem is solved, and I'll be getting some good hickory out of the woods come winter! Talk about win-win, no all I need is a nice 8-10 pointer!!

Thanks for the update. Nice to have all that off your mind, for now!

Latest posts

Back