Hickory - tearing my chain up bigtime.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the chain, RM. Notice its a low kickback chain, has risers that clear ahead of the cutter, will be very interesting to try it. It's not shagbark, but Ironwood rings a bell...I'll get a pic and post. This post is getting LOTS of attention. Funny.

And no, there aint no freeging dirt on the bark that comes into it from growth 'out of the ground'. Think about it. I'm talking about dozens of feet up in the air even, no sparks, just like iron. Dirt don't 'splash' up past a few inches. Dirt don't ride up on the bark as a tree grows inside out.

Nuff said.

Just got the chain, RM. Notice its a low kickback chain, has risers that clear ahead of the cutter, will be very interesting to try it. It's not shagbark, but Ironwood rings a bell...I'll get a pic and post. This post is getting LOTS of attention. Funny.

And no, there aint no freeging dirt on the bark that comes into it from growth 'out of the ground'. Think about it. I'm talking about dozens of feet up in the air even, no sparks, just like iron. Dirt don't 'splash' up past a few inches. Dirt don't ride up on the bark as a tree grows inside out.

Nuff said.

Erik,

RM and RMC is not a low kickback chain. Sounds like the dealer sold you RMC3 which is the low kickback version.
Same cutters though, so you should do fine for bucking. Just don't expect to bore cut. Next time tell the guy you don't want anything but RMC and not the homeowner stuff.

If you have Hornbeam bigger around than 8", you're in for a hell of a fight. The little ones EAT chains.
Never ever seen one get bigger than 14" though, and those rounds weighed as much as a briefcase weight LOL!!

Pics would be good!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

"RM and RMC is not a low kickback chain."

He wrote RM2 on the box and then appears to have put a C there, kinda scribbled. Can't tell. It said on the box, 'low kickback', but the box did not have a model or style on it, just his handwriting. I could call back. RMC isn't gonna cut poorly, is it?

I don't do bore cuts, just basic cutting into 20" pieces for firewood. I assume with the guards in place it's a low kickback. Fine with me.

He wrote RM2 on the box and then appears to have put a C there, kinda scribbled. Can't tell. It said on the box, 'low kickback', but the box did not have a model or style on it, just his handwriting. I could call back. RMC isn't gonna cut poorly, is it?

I don't do bore cuts, just basic cutting into 20" pieces for firewood. I assume with the guards in place it's a low kickback. Fine with me.

I absolutely hate lowkick chain when filing it too much to dress but I do ten chains a day everyday in bad scenarios easily

IF it's got a yellow link on it it's not low kickback. If it's got a green link it IS low kickback.

You don't know the difference in chains, yet you're an expert on knowing whether there's dirt in wood? I've only cut 1000 of them, but what do I ###### know? Good luck with it, nuff saud.

#1-there is NO dirt in the wood-standing live tree, middle of nowhere on 300 acres, don't tell me it's dirty, it's not.

#2-I do think its not shagbark-I saw one of them last night and this isn't that, I noticed some roundness in the branches, smooth even. The bark looks like typical bark, not shag.

#3-So, it's common knowledge that Stihl SC is a longer lasting chain than Oregon? This is probably tru then of all Stihl chains?
Gonna pick one up tonight.

Erik -
I've been cutting a lot of hickory latey (some shag but mostlyl bitternut hickory) and here's what i've learned:

1) if your oiler is adjustable turn it up all the way to help avoid overheating.
2) DON'T PUSH THE SAW. Let the saw cut, the chain will last much longer.
3) the bigger the saw the better, my Stihl MS260 seemed dull while limbing a fresh shagbark hickory, even with a new chain.
4) WATCH THE CHIPS BUILDING UP, ESPECIALLY BEHIND THE CLUTCH. Personally, I've never experienced this before but the hickory wood produces small wood chips (even with a brand new stihl chain) and they can get behind the clutch drum. The chips also clogged the nose sprocket on my bar. Because of this, I've started cleaning my saws (with compressed air) after every use now.

Good luck,
asdf4240

OK Anthony, its dirty. LOL.

IT's not a shagbark...thankfully. I think I'll entirely just avoid them. So far, no plans to cut any, but I've seen em there.

No yellow or green on the chain or any color for that matter.

If it has the guard links, they wont be much of an issue for bucking.

RMC3(RM3) has the guard links. Plain old RMC(RM) dosn't.

http://www.arboristsite.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3503041

If you can switch it out, RMC is less of a headache to maintain with the file, but otherwise is the same for bucking.

Don't avoid the shagbark...it's worth the cussing!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

OK Anthony, its dirty. LOL.

IT's not a shagbark...thankfully. I think I'll entirely just avoid them. So far, no plans to cut any, but I've seen em there.

No yellow or green on the chain or any color for that matter.

Bout time you admit it dude. :msp_razz::laugh:

Maybe they are old stock chain, but all the Stihl chains I buy have one colored link on them. Yellow is what you want in any case. RM or RMC. The older chains were plain "RM" and the newer stuff has the "C" on it, such as RMC or RSC.

If it has a "3" on it then it's green label or low kickback.

Just look at the rakers. The low kick chains have the double rakers and the yellow label chains have one single raker.

So it's not even shagbark? What kind of wood was it then?

I just called-he said it is RM2 chain and he had no colored tie straps, so thus, why it dont have one.

Here's the tooth:

View attachment 225977

Tri hump safety , you know if you have a bench grinder you can fold it and cut them down by themselves . It will save you time later grinding them down later they arent attached to the cutter so heat shouldnt affect the cutter. Its the exact same cutter but they strap a tri hump gaurd on the opposing side . it will however work fine when new but keep in mind grinding its a 75 degree compound instead of 60 like chisel. I would file it tbough

IF I'm reading it right, the only tri humped chain like that in the current Stihl catalog is RDR rescue chain and is carbide segmented (and is marked yellow). I'm not suggesting that's what this is, just that it's the only tri humped chain in the current catalog.

Ken

Tri hump safety , you know if you have a bench grinder you can fold it and cut them down by themselves . It will save you time later grinding them down later they arent attached to the cutter so heat shouldnt affect the cutter. Its the exact same cutter but they strap a tri hump gaurd on the opposing side . it will however work fine when new but keep in mind grinding its a 75 degree compound instead of 60 like chisel. I would file it tbough

Thats strange. It's a safety chain for sure. Havent seen one with that tri hump before that I can recall.

I'd look on Ebay and get a good RMC chain. Keep that one as a backup or take it to get a refund if you havent ran it yet.

It boggles the ole mind that it doesnt have a colored link.

Safety chain is any chain that has a bumper drivelink in between the cutter though typically and its not like its useless . If its on that rescue saw with carbide would that be because of the carbide maybe . If its brutal cutting wood less tooth biting in can be helpful against damage. My dealer swears that safety chain cuts just as good as yellow chain but its a pain to properly dress all that raker imo.

It doesn't have a colored link on it, because he just used an old strap, that was laying around from breaking another chain in two pieces. I use them or the yellow strap that comes with the presets, which every is laying around handy, it makes no difference.

Sam

Back