hickory wood for lumber ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
do any of you guys saw hickory for lumber and if so what is it used for ? came across a blowdown still attached to the rootball,about 25-30"wide and about25'to the first limb.the local hickory handle mill closed down several years ago.any suggestions/input will be appreciated. i know the top is firewood for sure. FS

flooring, cabinetry, or smoking....you should be able to use it for most anything that you would use oak for.

NO, no, no...don't use that for lumber. Great day -- use it to smoke meat with! Man my mouth is watering just talking about it! :D

Little Mom an' Pop mill custom built all of the kitchen cabinets and trim moldings in my brothers' house about 10 yrs ago.

Beautiful wood work and cabinetry. Lite to dark coloring and apparently solid, as there have been no signs of cracking, warping or separation of joints and such. The mill has been around as long as I can remember, just a small out fit.

hickory is beautiful. can be used for anything from flooring to cabinetry. very hard and once dry it's fairly tough on tools, but worth it. use the top for smoking and firewood but mill or have milled the trunk. you won't regret it. :rock:

Mike1079 pretty well summed it up. It rots quickly, so whatever you do needs to be done soon. Definitely worth milling, but be advised that powder post beetles love that stuff. It needs to be either chemically treated or kiln dry BEFORE you bring it into the house. I built some rustic hickory benches, and soon there were piles of sawdust under them where the little critters chewed their way out. Then they went for other wood in the house, and it was a real pain to get rid of them. Hickory, by the way is a close relative to pecan.

it looks good finished my uncle use to mill a lot of it in pa when i was a kid he always said it was twice a strong or hard as oak dont know if that is actilly true if you wont to try somthing different try some sasafras it kinda looks oak when finished

Latest posts

Back