High climbing safety for kids?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Reaction score
I live in the UK and my two litle girls love climbing trees, they are 8 and 9.

My eldest however, will climb high if she is able too, last weekend i took my eyes off her for a minute or two and she had gone at least 40ft up a tree.

Whilst the tree was very strong, and all the branches were perfect for a little one to climb, the thought of what could have hapened if she had slipped does'nt bare thinking about.

I have to admit, i encourage them to climb tres, but i want to add an element of safety to the fun. Is there a way i can hook her up to a harness or something on a rope so if she falls she is caught straight away?

Note that i cannot go up ahead of her as i have a damaged back and cannot climb like she can.

Thanks for any help on this matter, my kids make the most of the gorgeous forest around us, but i don't want to restrict thier fave activity, tree climbing.

Nice to meet you all btw.

Calv.

My friends and I free climbed high as kids but our parents couldn't see us so they didn't have to worry.

See if you can hook up with one of the rec climbing guides or facilitators in the UK, there are a few operating. You may find that you can climb fine with a back problem. You'll also get a better idea of how it's done. I facilitate kids climbs quite a bit, I have 7-8 year olds go to 65 feet if they want to. Using traditional DRT rope technique the kids can climb safely and can be monitored from the ground but the catch is you need to have competent skills to go up a rope and perform rescue if they get stuck or have other problems.
-moss

Install a line in the tree with a throw line, install a cambium saver to protect the tree! Then your kids can climb while you belay, I just used a belay device called the Cinch, it was a breeze and is auto locking for safety. I can tell you how to set this up and with a bit of practice this should work out well. My four year old daughter climbs with me and it is nice to have them safe tied. I also do climbs for kids (mostly my little nieces and nephews) but these kids are great to climb with, they learned Drt fast and I set up a belay on there way down just in case. Good luck and I would love to hear how this turns out. By the way, moss is right, you really might be able to climb with the right gear and the right style! Climb safe.

Kids Climbing

Make Sure They Are In A Full Body Harness Don't Use Just A Waist Harness There Body Can Not Take The Pressure If They Fall The Snap Could Injure There Back Or Neck Full Body Will Evenly Distribute The Weight Through The Full Body Harness U Can Us A Munter Hitch For The Belay Line And Use Dynamic Rope Not Static Dynamic Stretches And Will Not Shock There Body's Any Questions Pm Me Be Glad To Help.

There are a lot of kids harnesses out there. The Trango Junior, Petzl Simba & Petzl Ouistiti would work.

I think it's cool that you're starting them off at an early age.

My 7 year old loves to climb. I usually install his climbing line with a throw line and set up a figure 8 belay at the base of the tree. That way I have complete control of his line at all times (no slack). If he gets into trouble I can quickly and safely lower him to the ground.

Latest posts

Back