High temperature paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is using for mufflers, and how you like it. What works the best, what stuff is total junk - your experiences good and bad.

Beleive it or not, I use an Acrylic Lacquer. just regular paint.

Dries to a Matte finish.

I usually bake it a little....kinda. I hang it next to the furnace at work to dry the paint. Gets fairly warm. I put it on the saw, crank it for a few seconds, then off. Let it cool, and sit for a day.

Then slowly bring it up to temp the first time, like a long idle. Then go go go....

Doesnt seem to want to flake off so far, the trick is a totally smooth, totally clean part.

Your results may vary.

POR-15 makes some kick A high temp paint that actually stays on the muffler. It comes on a can, so you have to brush it on. It is POR-20, unless the # has changed in the last couple of years. It comes in silver or black.

Everything else i have tried comes off after time.

WalMart has the Krylon BBQ/Stove paint that holds up good. Rated for 1200 degrees F.

POR-15 makes some kick A high temp paint that actually stays on the muffler. It comes on a can, so you have to brush it on. It is POR-20, unless the # has changed in the last couple of years. It comes in silver or black.

Everything else i have tried comes off after time.

Yup, pretty spendy stuff. BBQ paint spray bombs are easy - but just don't seem to last. Would be nice to try some of that POR-15 paint...just hate the idea of cleaning a spray gun for about 5 minutes work.

Yup, pretty spendy stuff. BBQ paint spray bombs are easy - but just don't seem to last. Would be nice to try some of that POR-15 paint...just hate the idea of cleaning a spray gun for about 5 minutes work.

You don't have to spray POR, just thin a little and brush on. All the brush marks will flow out and it will be smooth when it dries.

YOU MIGHT LAUGH, but the finish when it dries after being applied with a brush is great. I use it on headers, heads, etc. good stuff. about 20 bucks for a little can, and it will do a lot of mufflers.

It stays a little soft until you get it heated up to 300 degrees or so. I've got the silver that is probably 5-6 years old and has been out in the garage (says not to freeze, lol. I paint everything silver then rattlecan the black over it.....the silver stays but the high temp rattle can always comes off. Need to break down and get a can of black. Dad used to be a distributor for it, but I don't know who else sells it around here anymore.

I never liked the "BBQ PAINT"... It never seems to work right. First time you bring it up to temp it starts to flake off, befor you know it, you got rust, and bare metal.

I made a header and dual mufflers for a Racing Kart, painted it with "engine enamel" for Automobile engines. Said it was good to some 1800 degrees.

The first run I made it held up fine...The 2nd run, It started to flake off at the flange, then down the pipe slowly.

By 30 minutes run time it was burnt off 1/2 the way down the header pipe.

Now I know my EGT's arent spiking over 1800 degrees..:dizzy:

I found some VHT Flame Proof header paint that is rated to 2000 Deg.F it is silica ceramic coating,,,, it looks kinda clear when you first spray it on but it darkens up pretty good after the second coat,,,,,
I bead blasted my muffler casing on my early model 066 and applied about three light coats letting it completely dry to touch between coats when I changed the bearings and seals last year then I baked it in the oven for at 200 degrees for about 3 hrs and after bout 100- 200hrs of use it still looks Purty good!!!!!

I've used several ceramic BBQ and Header paints. They all work fine so long as you have bare metal -- bead blasted preferably. NO rust, oil, burned on junk, dirt etc... And then after a cure period, BAKE them before use. I bake at 450-500 for 45+ minutes - it's then good to 1200F in use.

Lately I've been using Krylon and like it.

Back