High topping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Quick vid of a 200+ft dead fir being topped. This was in an Old Growth park on Vancouver Island. A tough initial 100 ft climb with the wide stem and thick crumbling bark....but much easier from there upwards. I just had to bring it down out of falling distance from the road:

I like the way the stick hardly moved. Was it the Humboldt and a small hinge that made it so smooth?
It moved probably a lot more than is apparent in the vid....but very slowly back and forth. To keep the sway to a minimum, you wanna get the top off the stump as soon as...so a narrow humboldt with a small hinge will do just that. A wide face will do the opposite, not only pushing the pole back as it tips but also yanking it forward before the hinge let's go.

I guess, when it comes down to it, one is truly alone in this world no matter how many other people there are.

How many feet do you log a day Sir Reginald?

Speak English, the Dan[/QUOTE]

Well OK:

Tommypop, Poppycock, and all that rot! I just got on the dole so I won't 'ave to sell my fanny doon at the council bog anymore AND I got my minge sorted proper ininit?

Easy buddy ,,,we are here for these winter days,,,you will make it,,
Jeff :cheers:

It ain't even winter! Yeah, its still early, though driving around doing crazy **** with a jar of the white lightening stoned out my mind then telling everybody about it is on my mind.

But even with the fancy truck, the fancy plow and the jar and the bong rips and the pills and the guns and everybody in between... The Dan is (as we all are) alone.

The last tree I took down I had climbed years before to prune it. 85 foot oak bent over the house. I did it alone. Just the pruning. The 125 foot tulip next to it was a little tougher.

My friend helped with the takedown. We got all blazed, set up and wrecked it. That was fun to.

Murphy calls out of the blue just as I am about to go up the tulip. He had Treeslayer sleeping on his couch and was calling me to complain about it. That was THE LAST TIME I talked to Murphy!

So forgive me for getting existential.

Latest posts

Back