Highly valuable firewood pallets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Ranch

Some things happen for a reason
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
From time to time I stop to collect pallets to stack my firewood on. As they break down I toss them in the burn pile and replace them with new ones. I could probably get a truckload every day on my commute from work and I usually keep a stack in reserve.

Unfortunately my wife noticed the stack and because she also uses Pinterest (aka the bane of man's existence) I have had several pallet projects in the last couple of years. This summer I picked some pallets with a very pretty wood and even commented to my wife about it.

Tonight she was gone so I built a shelf she has wanted and used those pallets. As soon as I cut one off the boards I knew it was black walnut!

Anybody ever heard of black walnut being used for pallets? Those have to be the most expensive pallets ever made. :eek:

Pallets I get for free say specifically "walnut free". I haven't a clue why they would need to specify that... The guy I get them from sells lawn tractors, snow blowers, snow plows, compact tractors and side by side UTV's.

When I was in high school, we got some pallets from a local seed company. They had 8x8 centers and were made from oak. I figured they weighed about 150 lbs each and were over sized, like 5x5.

Back