Ho, ho, ho, Jolly Star Grinder Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received replacement for broken vise base and installed and did another test, reported in detail on this thread

This time the difference in cutter length from left to right was only 0.009", not enough to notice if I hadn't been measuring with calipers. Plus there was no overheating or serious burring this time around. I didn't do anything different except I remembered to wear my bifocals this time. Gee, do you think that might have helped ? :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm pretty happy at this point.

More nit picking, though....... the top plate angle indicators are extremely difficult to read when the vise is tilted toward the operator for 80 degree side plate angle. I had to get down on my knees and use a magnifying glass to catch a glimpse of the indicator. This issue is not unique to the Jolly Star, however, it just seems like there ought to be a better way to do things.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Cutter lengths uneven - easy fix

View attachment 247423View attachment 247424View attachment 247425View attachment 247426I discovered the pivot pin (picture 1) is smaller than the receiving hole (picture 2) by about .025. I made a bushing out of a piece of shim stock (Picture 3) and inserted it into the pivot pin receiving hole (picture 4) and pushed it in up to the angle gauge surface. When the pivot pin is inserted into the pivot pin receiving hole with the bushing I made, it eliminated the excessive movement in the receiving hole. When I rotate the motor assembly and lock it down, I have even right and left cutter sizes.

Latest posts

Back