HOA being difficult

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to this site, so hope I'm in the right place to ask a question. We just had a large sugar maple removed from our backyard due to disease. The stump was left in place. Question: I've read that some trees, oak for example, exude a chemical that inhibits or prevents other vegetation growing near them. Is this true of sugar maples, and, if so, does it prevent other vegetation near a stump after the tree itself is gone? We want to plant a vegetable garden in the area where the tree used to be. Thank you.

I'm new to this site, so hope I'm in the right place to ask a question. We just had a large sugar maple removed from our backyard due to disease. The stump was left in place. Question: I've read that some trees, oak for example, exude a chemical that inhibits or prevents other vegetation growing near them. Is this true of sugar maples, and, if so, does it prevent other vegetation near a stump after the tree itself is gone? We want to plant a vegetable garden in the area where the tree used to be. Thank you.
I have not heard that about Maples. Walnut is the most common tree that you will have problems with. Search Allelopathy, which is the fancy word for this.

I live in a gated HOA and my wife has a big GMC Yukon XL, I drive a Tundra 4x4,
Sometimes, (most of the time), my wife parks in the driveway in front of the house,
Lately the landscapers have been making complaint's that she is driving on the grass at the edge of the driveway and sent me a letter to address the issue as not to get fined to pay for turf work.
So now my wife parks by the pool next to me and we will not park our vehicles in our driveway anymore and can not wait to see the improvement in our grass by the driveway,(I think it is a skinny driveway,)
We are excited about the improvements you are providing and hope the extra mile we are going will help make your renovation project in front of my house with a beautiful driveway!
Let's see how that goes,,,
Jeff :confused:

Time to get your wife a smart car.
Mein_Smart003.jpg

or you

Around here, if you aren't already in the housing market, strata titled communities (condo apartments/townhouses/detached houses) provide the only opportunity to break into the housing market, due to high prices and the huge down payment needed.

As noted above, location, location, location.

******UPDATE******

I was able to complete all the cutting I had to do and move on to the next residents yard were there were several large trees down. I managed to befriend the jabroni that the president was wanting to do all the work instead of me. I believe he will be posting soon and have a bone to pick with all those singing the praises of the Echo Timberwolf. From what he had told me he bought this after reading some posts on here and seeing that the local echo dealer had one caked in dust on the shelf. He said to me that he thought he was getting a diamond in the rough. The saw runs great but is no where as stout as reported. My well used and lovingly abused MS 290 ( that was brought with me so a perspective buyer could see it and try it out ) bested his saw. To be fair the 290's tune must have hit the sweet spot and was running splendidly. He took loads of video and I am hopeful he does come and post.

All in all these communities are not that bad. They discourage people from having old cars in the driveway and trash heaps in the yards. They are strict but, when managed well run like a clock.

I would be careful, you would need some insurance to be working UNLESS you were doing it as a favor... the kind of favor were you get paid. Its obtuse, I know, but you still need insurance I would think.

I have had clearance to do a job but the neighbor always shut us down. It was a little mental institution but the work had to be done.

I put on a ski mask, dark glasses and a forestry helmet with plugs and muffs, went in, coned the whole area with caution tape, fired up a little saw and waited. When they came out I pretended to work frantically cutting a log reving the saw and push it back and forth. Ever once in a while I would swing the saw out and around in an arch and go back to the cut.

This went on until it got funny and kept getting even funnier til the police came. I had stopped cutting after they showed, they just told me to keep going and they told the others people to let off and that was that.

But cops don't always care about insurance but HOA's do. When I did tree work the side when I was young I had to decline work for certain HOA's because I didn't have insurance.

I just looked at a big job in the back of a condo complex. Its all concrete side walk to get back there but first I got to hop the curb and drive across hilly landscape. I bid the job to do it like that, not manually drag the stuff out. They don't like it? Fine, I'll go do a job where I don't have to put up with that BUT they do have a right to be worried about people driving over curbs. I can do stuff like that and not damage anything however they do not know that.

And god forbid you get hurt or any of your help does either.

I would be careful, you would need some insurance to be working UNLESS you were doing it as a favor... the kind of favor were you get paid. Its obtuse, I know, but you still need insurance I would think.

I have had clearance to do a job but the neighbor always shut us down. It was a little mental institution but the work had to be done.

I put on a ski mask, dark glasses and a forestry helmet with plugs and muffs, went in, coned the whole area with caution tape, fired up a little saw and waited. When they came out I pretended to work frantically cutting a log reving the saw and push it back and forth. Ever once in a while I would swing the saw out and around in an arch and go back to the cut.

This went on until it got funny and kept getting even funnier til the police came. I had stopped cutting after they showed, they just told me to keep going and they told the others people to let off and that was that.

But cops don't always care about insurance but HOA's do. When I did tree work the side when I was young I had to decline work for certain HOA's because I didn't have insurance.

I just looked at a big job in the back of a condo complex. Its all concrete side walk to get back there but first I got to hop the curb and drive across hilly landscape. I bid the job to do it like that, not manually drag the stuff out. They don't like it? Fine, I'll go do a job where I don't have to put up with that BUT they do have a right to be worried about people driving over curbs. I can do stuff like that and not damage anything however they do not know that.

And god forbid you get hurt or any of your help does either.

I would require insurance is I was felling the trees, I was not so it was not an issue. BUT saying that I did make a bid to kelp clean up some dead fall in the regional forests near my home and was told I would need insurance. The odd thing was this insurance was for property damage. There is no property in the forests. No buildings, no cars.. but it was required. Well it was until I asked the question of what property do you think I would damage. I now get calls to clear fallen trees across the waking/biking/riding paths. Oh the looks I get walking through the forest with a chainsaw across my shoulder!

Latest posts

Back