Hoarding Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Have you ever known any saw hoarders, people who compulsively hoard saws by the cord? It appears to be a compulsive obsessive disorder.
How many saws must one have before being classified as a hoarder?

Gypo

I think one could have as few as say, three chainsaws, and be considered a hoarder. It would all depend on how many 'accessories' one keeps for each saw.

I knew an owner/operator stick wagon driver who lived through the Great Depression as a child. He hoarded cardboard in his shop. When he died, there was 8 tons of cardboard on his property.

An older person I knew, another Depression child, had a basement completely full of cleaned and stacked plastic food containers such as margarine tubs. Thousands of them. Might need them some day. It was a stunning sight.

I just turned 60 and for the past couple yr. have seen off a number of friends. Partly due to that process, I've begun casting a bit different eye on some of the accumulated treasures [junk] that anyone collects who is in to fixing, rebuilding, or fabricating a lot of what they need. We all do it. I got to thinking, if I kick off tomorrow, what is someone gonna be thinking as they clear out my property? Not that I care a whit, but I did begin to relieve myself of some things and to be more discriminating about what I haul home to stack with the other "incredible" finds.

Of course, soon after such divestment, one normally finds himself needing a part or piece of metal or whatever that sat unused for 25 years and now needs to be purchased after the cussing stops.

Last edited:
I think one could have as few as say, three chainsaws, and be considered a hoarder. It would all depend on how many 'accessories' one keeps for each saw.

I knew an owner/operator stick wagon driver who lived through the Great Depression as a child. He hoarded cardboard in his shop. When he died, there was 8 tons of cardboard on his property.

There's a show on tv now called "Hoarders", it's actually quite interesting.
At least that cardboard guy was hoarding stuff that didn't cost much money. lol
John

I would say that if you own more than two per man that uses them, you're a hoarder. If you own a tree service that could be a lot, depending on how many guys work for you. I definitely have CAD.

Different saws are just different tools for different uses. One saw does not fit all jobs.

Now multiples of the same saw could start to edge in on hoarding, but as long as you're not tripping over them to get to the bathroom or finding them in the couch cushions you should be good. :clap:

An older person I knew, another Depression child, had a basement completely full of cleaned and stacked plastic food containers such as margarine tubs. Thousands of them. Might need them some day. It was a stunning sight.

I just turned 60 and for the past couple yr. have seen off a number of friends. Partly due to that process, I've begun casting a bit different eye on some of the accumulated treasures [junk] that anyone collects who is in to fixing, rebuilding, or fabricating a lot of what they need. We all do it. I got to thinking, if I kick off tomorrow, what is someone gonna be thinking as they clear out my property? Not that I care a whit, but I did begin to relieve myself of some things and to be more discriminating about what I haul home to stack with the other "incredible" finds.

Of course, soon after such divestment, one normally finds himself needing a part or piece of metal or whatever that sat unused for 25 years and now needs to be purchased after the cussing stops.

I never stayed in one place long enough to collect much "stuff", just like a rolling stone gathers no moss. lol
Gypo

When I was dealing junk, I got into more than a few barns, attics, and cellars.

Its remarkable how many WWII ration books survive. After the Depression and through the privations of wartime shortages, folks just came to think "Better to have an not need than to need and not have."

When rationing was lifted, lotsa folks had lots of stamps left in their ration books. "Might come in handy someday," was the thought of a few I'm sure.

And all this time I called myself a collector and thought I was "normal" 25 and counting

Different saws are just different tools for different uses. One saw does not fit all jobs.

Now multiples of the same saw could start to edge in on hoarding, but as long as you're not tripping over them to get to the bathroom or finding them in the couch cushions you should be good. :clap:
I think the most saws I ever had at one time was 250. Now I only have three 385's, four 372's, two 359's, two 346's and one Solo 680. and oh yes an Oleo Mac 980 and Partner 5000 Plus
Gypo

I think the most saws I ever had at one time was 250. Now I only have three 385's, four 372's, two 359's, two 346's and one Solo 680. and oh yes an Oleo Mac 980 and Partner 5000 Plus
Gypo

You're not finding them in the couch cushions then huh? I'd say you're good. I'd kill to have all the saws you mentioned. Seems like my disease is more psychological.

You're not finding them in the couch cushions then huh? I'd say you're good. I'd kill to have all the saws you mentioned. Seems like my disease is more psychological.
Nothing escaped "The Cleaning Wench", she would only allow me half a doz saws in the livingroom at any one time, but they had to be house trained though.
John

Ya, those Stihl's were bad for that! lol
John

Jesus, my 440s reading over my shoulder. I think you pist him off! Ha. Ha. He still hasn't gotten over his problem. The Husky had a problem a year back, turns out he was nervous around the Stihl. The 440 stays in the garage now.

I like this thread!

Makes me think!
I currently use my old saws, but have been tempted to grab a couple of the oldie rarities!!! This thread my keep me to only having work saws!(but I spend just as much on the accessories as the saws!)

There's a fine line between collecting & hoarding...Some of you guys make it sound like a "bad" thing! :biggrinbounce2:

I currently own eight (I think) - most all of them run, and I use each of them at various times just to keep fuel through them & in good working order.

I would say my "collection" is in a constant state of flux, because I go through spells where I sell some, buy a few more to replace what I got rid of...

Latest posts

Back