Hoarding Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Mrbigsaw has the most saws so far.
John

naw, not me..I was just holding the camera:)

When it comes to chainsaws, the only guys I'd consider hoarders are the guys who have two or more of a model I want and need.

Those guys are playing lightly with grave and megalithic forces which could even shift the tectonic plates of the continent, if they don't box up the extra Mac 73 and get it on its way to me.

3 years ago I had quite a few in my flower beds and stumps for decoration till I discovered there were a bunch a nuts that liked them.

darn the internet and that al gore for inventing

:cheers:

Oh... and one of Lisa's birdhouses, too. :yourock:

I let a neighbor walk away with one of my good-runnin' Mac 250's and now I'm down to only about 300-some reserve wood-cutters... but have 3-4 on the way here.

hey ken, did ya see the 73 sitting in the flower bed. great compression but no spark so I threw it back:confused:

Nice saws sawbones, how many total do you have? As long as I dont have that many Ill be okay.:jawdrop:

I dont know how many I have but I like my stihl ms250 C easy start

Man that brings a tear to my eye.

there were about 80 in the flower beds last spring and some punks stole about 50. I did not know what they were when I would drive by them for the last 5 years but was learning when they were robbed.

I remeber lots of large macs and homies and even some huskys. the guy worked for county dump and would grab them as they were headed for scrap bins.

Ground zero

chainsaw hoarding capital of the universe

also the nicest collector you could ever met, besides me:)

Wayne Sutton
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1H2cqzeR98&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d1H2cqzeR98&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

What the heck is that?

forklift required. a little 6hp here. about 400 lbs.

eco1.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DOCBHa0UIsI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DOCBHa0UIsI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I grew up about 20 miles north of where they hold one of the largest steam and old tractor shows in the country. They would have a dozen of those things lined up, and even have a huge diesel one. Oops, I guess they have even more of them now. Search WMSTR. Lots of that kind of stuff. Haven't been to the show in over 20 years.

chainsaw hoarding capital of the universe

also the nicest collector you could ever met, besides me:)

Wayne Sutton

This video perfectly illustrates the difference between collecting and hoarding. A hoarder secretly gathers something he fears will be in short supply in the future. What he hoards is usually unlovable in itself, like sugar, or ammunition, or gasoline; its attraction is in its imagined monetary or survival value. He doesn't tell anybody about his hoard, he keeps it secret, and if civilization fell, he would NOT share with his neighbors.

A collector loves what he collects for what it is or what it represents. He knows its history, he knows who made it, he knows all about it, and he's generally glad to share his knowledge with others. Whether he collects unrestored examples or delights in bringing the broken and unloved back from the grave, he buys, preserves, and displays out of respect for the past rather than fear of the future.

Sure, there are shades of gray. Is the guy who bought a 372xp and put it away new in the box a hoarder or a collector? Maybe just a saver? Gene Hill often would write about a favorite piece of gear (usually after it wore out) with the admonition that whenever you find something that works or fits especially well, buy two because they're going to stop making it.

That doesn't apply to the video, though, that guy is a COLLECTOR.

Jack

Wait until you start collecting hit & miss engines...

I have a friend collector who's big in stationary engines, old tractors, oilpull steam engines, special trucks, a caterpillar dozer that blows out more oil than exhaust gas. his latest acquisation is an early caterpillar scraper that he bought in the US. These things are huge, but he has a warehouse the size of my entire propery. His machining shop is bigger than my house.

Every time I visit his place I am glad to be in chainsaws.:)

My folks grew up in the Depression, and never threw anything away. My Dad used to keep all the old basketballs and soccer balls which floated down the stream behind our house. Guess I caught the disease, but I call myself "well equipped for every job." Don't have any duplicate saws, but a MS441 and 372XP are basically in the same class. I enjoy them both. Have a 660 and am getting a 390XP, but they have their own distinct features. Probably if I buy a new saw and never take it out of the box, I'll suspect that I am borderline "hoarding."

Had a pang of guilt recently (also, I couldn't even walk into my basement) and sold off all kinds of stuff (saws, old tile, power tools, etc.) and it felt so good to free up the extra space and take in extra cash that I lost my head and sold a mint 1991 262XP. The BIL of another AS member got it, so I don't feel really bad (like suicidal or anything), but I don't think I'll sell another saw anytime soon.

We live and learn.
:givebeer:

This video perfectly illustrates the difference between collecting and hoarding. A hoarder secretly gathers something he fears will be in short supply in the future. What he hoards is usually unlovable in itself, like sugar, or ammunition, or gasoline; its attraction is in its imagined monetary or survival value. He doesn't tell anybody about his hoard, he keeps it secret, and if civilization fell, he would NOT share with his neighbors.

A collector loves what he collects for what it is or what it represents. He knows its history, he knows who made it, he knows all about it, and he's generally glad to share his knowledge with others. Whether he collects unrestored examples or delights in bringing the broken and unloved back from the grave, he buys, preserves, and displays out of respect for the past rather than fear of the future.

Sure, there are shades of gray. Is the guy who bought a 372xp and put it away new in the box a hoarder or a collector? Maybe just a saver? Gene Hill often would write about a favorite piece of gear (usually after it wore out) with the admonition that whenever you find something that works or fits especially well, buy two because they're going to stop making it.

That doesn't apply to the video, though, that guy is a COLLECTOR.

Jack

+1:agree2: Well said!!!

Back