Hollow Oak - rotted wood inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a really strong point Nate - variables within species. Even further, differences in subspecies. Hybrids haven't been examined as long as taxonomy is hotly debated, even from there, mastering Latin nomenclatures has two people arguing if an escarpment live oak is a Fusiformis or a virginianna varient.

One may be slightly offset a standard in recognized patterns of CODIT growing on elevated pH conditions while the other may be less able to adapt to and isolate an injury or infection, even two os the same variety growing 50 meters apart.

Rule of thumb in prognosing a presented event - each tree is different and demands being looked at as unique and responses as variable as humans having so many differences that treatment regimens for a fat man in his sixties are far different that a kid in his teens when it comes to chemotherapy recommendations in protocol. The cancer's the same, but reactions vary highly. I find it true in oaks as well. Ground cover, nutritional supplements, weed killers, air quality, sunshine direct or diffuse, rock, moisture, and the attitudes of the owners - all play a role in each tree's physiology, at least in my humble opinion.

No standards therefore, but at least a place to start from. Like figthing terrorism, no blanket cure.

Originally posted by TREETX
I am just having a really hard time entertaining these ideas. Maybe I am just subconsciously thinking of the predominant local species, live oak, which is a very strong compartmentalizer.

Here in NC no species dominates so there's a wide range of responses made by trees to injury. So fortunately we can't get into TOO much of a mental rut. And as oakwilt pointed out, it could be really different just a few counties away. Sounds like what your (and every) area needs is more diversity--time to get planting this fall!

I seriously am not here to make enemies, ........maybe I missed my calling?:rolleyes:
Yeah some times I get so argumentative (or tired and dirty and scratched and strained from climbing), I wish I'd gone to law school so I could make some real money. But then green reality sets in, and I wouldn't have it any other way than this.

Trees are great, and tree guys are too, especially when they can realize when they get a little too assertive. That's bound to happen a lot because you gotta have confidence to get up into trees. No Problems.

Nate, you didn't miss your calling.

We all take our profession seriously, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's how advancements are made.

Sure tree guys are cocky and confident, but who else would climb 85' into a pine tree and tie into a top only inches around singing "hi ho silver" the whole time? Most of my friends think I'm nuts, but I have alot of fun, and enjoy the work.:D

That said, the majority of the trees that hollow out here are Sugar and Norway maples. They're pretty common as a curbside tree, and usually the victims of plow blade strikes that gouge out huge sections of bark. Then they're bombarded with massive amounts of calcium chloride to their roots; I'm amazed anything survives winter around here. (People included, but that's another story;) )

Netree,
take Mass Winters and multiply by 4, you have Minnesota.

Originally posted by netree
There's an interesting article on this subject in the July '03 "Journal of Arboriculture". (pg 209)

Has anyone else read and and what are your thoughts?
Thanks for the prompt; I set the mag aside on my "read later" pile and forgot about it.

The object of the study was to gauge the strength of woundwood, which supports my frequent observation on decaying trees--the new wood created on the outside can often more than compensate for the wood on the inside lost to rot. The authors show proper caution about overgeneralizing the results; it's good to see something beyond literature reviews from them.

The findings do call into question the uniform-stress theory, it's good to look at other paradigms to fit our observations into.
What's your take on the article?

Back