Holly any good for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybart

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Scrounging today netted me 3 truckloads of ash, cherry, some pine and a little bit of Holly. The Holly is quite large diameter and didn't know if I should put in the house wood stack or the fire pit wood stack, anybody have advice?

I've seen some decent sized ones in Delaware but have never burned any. Looks like it has a decent btu level on the charts. I do have a nice duck call made of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one was about 18-20" at the stump. I'm only 8 minutes from De and I have a very healthy 24" or so holly on my property. The rounds I have feel heavy but it's only been down a week or so and the bark is still green when I scrape it.

Yeah, holly grows like weeds here. The woodlot next door is rife with 'em.

It burns hot when split and cured for a year or longer. It's hard wood. I haven't had the pleasure of getting large specimens but have cut and split some saplings ~ 4" diameter or so that were blocking my path in the woods.

The X27 split the smaller rounds easily, haven't had time to get back to the pile and swing on the larger rounds that had a lot of limbs. Beautiful wood though, straight and very white, would like a chance at a log on my Alaskan mill.

Back