Homelite 330. broken ingition ground wire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcube

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have replaced this wire a few times as they tend to wear a hole in the insulation or break. The problem is now the wires are no longer available. I am trying to figure out a way to just ground the plug when I want to shut saw off. I know one can choke it to death but then it is flooded when you want to start again.

Can you purchase a few wire terminals and a wire stripper/crimper tool?
Then find a small roll of wire, of appropriate size, and make up another one as you need.
If you're having trouble with it rubbing, you need to try and remedy that also.

If the wire is single strand or multi, either type will work.
You might look at a couple different rolls or brands to find something that seems like a better fit for the task.
the thickness of the insulation can vary a little or some types may be a bit stiffer than others.

You need to make certain that it is supported and secured so that it doesn't rub any moving parts like the flywheel or any throttle or choke controls.

Can you purchase a few wire terminals and a wire stripper/crimper tool?
Then find a small roll of wire, of appropriate size, and make up another one as you need.
If you're having trouble with it rubbing, you need to try and remedy that also.

If the wire is single strand or multi, either type will work.
You might look at a couple different rolls or brands to find something that seems like a better fit for the task.
the thickness of the insulation can vary a little or some types may be a bit stiffer than others.

You need to make certain that it is supported and secured so that it doesn't rub any moving parts like the flywheel or any throttle or choke controls.

Thanks. finding wire that will work in the vibration
and heat seems to be the problem. I made one once out of a household iron cord that probably had asbestos in it. I will keep looking.

Check in at a NAPA or any decent auto parts store. they will have something rated for the job.
Automotive wire will be rated for the gasoline & oil exposure
also it will be rated for the temperature too.

The old iron cord was likely a nice flexible (black) rubber inside that woven sheath.

hcube: I see it says "New Member" has anyone said hello and welcome?
If you can't find the correct wire, someone here will probably know where to get it!
and We like photos here, so We'd be happy to see how you made out on the saw
whenever you get it done.

Best wire I have ever delta with is something youl find in the r/c hobbies. Soft insulation fine braided wire very ply able and is made to handle high amps and volts. It will not short out from vibration like most copper braid or solid core wire

You need multistrand wire. Wire with lots of little stands in it.
It is used in DC wiring, welding lead, marine wire etc.
Marine wire is a good choice, very flexable and good insulation. Most good marine wire is tinned copper for corrosion resistance.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had checked at a few places here in this rural area. I will do some more checking . In the mean time I was able to fashion a different end on the old wire and the saw is going again.

I like Bilge Rats choice the best.
I reckon too many of my latter years of fiddling with Briggs & Stratton or other low revving stuff has me ruined to just tucking a single strand into the crevasses
with a couple of clips and zip ties.

Part of the trouble with some 330s I've had is the soft engine mounts after several years, it allows things like broken wires and broken intake boots. You should keep a spare boot handy if you're gonna keep the saw for a long time.

Latest posts

Back