Homelite 360 worth $60???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tec498

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a Homelite 360 in my area that is $60. The description says the saw is easy to start and runs like an animal. Is this saw worth 60 bucks? How many cc's is it?

From what I know of this saw which is geting more and more everyday is that they are a very good saw.

If it is complete and runs good from what I understand $60 sounds fair.

I am currently going to be getting one running after I get a couple of other things done.

1976 57cc

Some may say yes, I would not. I look for specific saws but keep an open mind for whatever might pop up, and that saw just doesn't jump out at me. I don't care for that series homelite. If your looking for something to work on/monkey around with, and have some spare cash, then I would consider it. I'd feel more comfortable in the $40 range though.

They're good saws. I have a few friends that run 'em. There's two reasons why I don't have one though:

1)I have a bunch of Homelite XL12/Super XL Auto saws that cover the 60cc class range for me just fine. That's why I never went lookin' for McCulloch X-10 family saws either. Of course, one of those did end up in my stable anyways (and it's a good saw). That's just because it came to me as part of a 'group' of saws however....

2)The guys who have 360's up for sale in my area on CL (or who answer my CL want ad) always want stupid money for them. I don't know why, but they usualy talk up these saws like they're the best thing since canned beer, and ask $150-$300 for 'em. Crazy...:silly:

I'm sure I can justify the purchase. I have a brand new Stihl ms290 and a Poulan 3400 in good condition. Both are in the same cc class as that saw. I do however want to get a new B/C for my Poulan.

That's what it comes down to: Do you want it? If nothing else buy it now, sell it later if you don't want it. I'm sure for that price someone else would pick it up later.

I'm sure I can justify the purchase. I have a brand new Stihl ms290 and a Poulan 3400 in good condition. Both are in the same cc class as that saw. I do however want to get a new B/C for my Poulan.

I have a MS290 as well and am soley going to run this saw for comparison to the 290 for firewood scrounging. Some say it is right online with the 290 so a back up to a 290 which is $350 new and the 360 for $60 seems reasonable.

Also I jsut like the waty some of these older saws are built. That in itself is more of a draw right now for me. Many others have newer saws and somehow running a saw as old as I am seems pretty cool:smile:

I have a MS290 as well and am soley going to run this saw for comparison to the 290 for firewood scrounging. Some say it is right online with the 290 so a back up to a 290 which is $350 new and the 360 for $60 seems reasonable.

Also I jsut like the waty some of these older saws are built. That in itself is more of a draw right now for me. Many others have newer saws and somehow running a saw as old as I am seems pretty cool:smile:

$60 for a good running 360 isn't a bad price in mmy opinion.

Tell you what, I want the saw. Will you call the guy and offer him $50 and go pick it up to save me the trip to Spotsylvania this afternoon? I can PayPal you the money for the saw and your gas.

60 bucks for one in good shape IMHO is a very good deal, especially when you check what many bring on feebay. The '50s are my faves of all saws, hands down. Its fun to pick up a 350/360 and see how its the little brother of a 650/750. Yea, a 350/360 is heavier than a "modern" plastic saw of equal performance, but no big friggin' deal. Yea, they need carb boots, but these are readily available, so again, no big friggin' deal here either. Bottom line, if you like it, try it. If you decide later you don't like it, you should be able recoup your investment easily enough.

Dan

the only thing i dont care for is the coil\transformer it has.
...and they're expensive to replace !
I love my Homelites (I have 6 that use those transformers), but I do wonder what they were thinking
when they decided to use those.
Anyone know of a possible benefit of them ? I haven't been able to think of one yet.

Last edited:
I bid on one at a local auction that was by far the cleanest old saw I had ever seen, case, new bar and extra old one. It went for $110. Worth it but I already have another. They are a wonderful firewood saw.

I've had about 6 or 7 of them this year and sold them all. They usually bring around $50 or so. They're not bad, but for the same money you can have a Pro Mac 700 or a 55 or a Homelite XL 12 or Super XL and I would much rather have one of them.

I ran a 360 for years. Fine saw. It was at the tail end of the professional grade saws before Homelite went to the 'big box store route'.

I stillhave a 24" bar hardly used for it if anyone wants it. Pay shipping and handling only.

Harry K

60 bucks for one in good shape IMHO is a very good deal, especially when you check what many bring on feebay. The '50s are my faves of all saws, hands down. Its fun to pick up a 350/360 and see how its the little brother of a 650/750. Yea, a 350/360 is heavier than a "modern" plastic saw of equal performance, but no big friggin' deal. Yea, they need carb boots, but these are readily available, so again, no big friggin' deal here either. Bottom line, if you like it, try it. If you decide later you don't like it, you should be able recoup your investment easily enough.

Dan

I don't own one but a friend has two he bought new back in the day to cut pulpwood full time. They are nice smooth saws and quiet too for a Homelite. They actually had AV which the Super XL did... NOT......As I look at it this series of saw, I believe it was Homelite last thrust trying to regain marketshare and modernize its design to compete with the incoming Swede saws of the time. Most notably the 621 Jonsereds. Unfortunately it was to little to late. I would certainly buy a good running 360 for $60.00.

Dan, where do you get the carb boots??? I thought Kyle at Edge and Engine carried them but when I looked the other day they were listed as NLA??????

Any suggestions?????

Thanks

I ran a 360 for years. Fine saw. It was at the tail end of the professional grade saws before Homelite went to the 'big box store route'.

I stillhave a 24" bar hardly used for it if anyone wants it. Pay shipping and handling only.

Harry K
I could use that bar and would gladly pay the shipping or send you some of our maple syrup.
PM sent.

Last edited:
Dan, where do you get the carb boots??? I thought Kyle at Edge and Engine carried them but when I looked the other day they were listed as NLA??????

Any suggestions?????

Thanks

Well heck... I've bought several from Kyle in the past. Figured he'd still be stocked up. Any case, they're on feepay.

Dan

Unless the OP got the saw, this discussion is moot. Called on the ad this morning and the saw has been sold. Given that the owner said it sold in 10 hours and the ad was posted Wednesday, it may have been gone by the time we read this.

Callin' my place in line....

Harry K

I could use that bar and would gladly pay the shipping or send you some of our maple syrup.
PM sent.

Rats. Looks like I'm a day late. If Brian doesn't end up with that bar, then I'd gladly take it for the cost of shipping and handling to 95472! I could send some of the fine local microbrews from my area as well (as long as you're at least 21)... :cheers:

Latest posts

Back