Homelite 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fixing up a Homelite 360 mainly because I got it for free and it doesn't need much. The lower strap that goes under the saw and attaches to the rear handle is broken. I'm wondering if this strap is made of aluminum or magnesium. If it's aluminum I'll just weld it, if magnesium I'll either epoxy it or look for another strap.

I'd bet that it was the same material as the case, and that would mean aluminum alloy. Here's a Homie 330 that I just restored:
HomeLite 330.jpg
It's the closest model to a 360 that I ever worked on. I was impressed with the power that it delivered. I cannot imagine that the case was different from the strap going back to the handle.

I doubt if mine looks that good when done....I do have a couple of 330s to do after I'm done with the 360. I just found out how to tell if it's mag or not, just file a little off of it and see if you can set it on fire with a match. If it lights it's mag.
When I first started repairing chainsaws someone gave me a 330 to put a intake boot on, it was kind of a pain for someone who's just starting out..now it's just another fix..I just finished putting a new intake boot on the 360. Probably try to finish most of it tomorrow evening.

You are right about pure magnesium. The powder would burn white hot. It's one of the favorite fireworks blazes, unbelievably brilliant. Even an Mg alloy powder would likely burn almost as bright.

You may want to consider bolting on a steel strap to serve as a bridge.

I doubt if mine looks that good when done....I do have a couple of 330s to do after I'm done with the 360. I just found out how to tell if it's mag or not, just file a little off of it and see if you can set it on fire with a match. If it lights it's mag.
When I first started repairing chainsaws someone gave me a 330 to put a intake boot on, it was kind of a pain for someone who's just starting out..now it's just another fix..I just finished putting a new intake boot on the 360. Probably try to finish most of it tomorrow evening.
My inventory at the house tells me I have a new or used brace for Homelite 360. Send me a reply if interested in and which one. = chainsawlady (Indiana)

You are right about pure magnesium. The powder would burn white hot. It's one of the favorite fireworks blazes, unbelievably brilliant. Even an Mg alloy powder would likely burn almost as bright.

You may want to consider bolting on a steel strap to serve as a bridge.
I just about got it all together today but not quite. I have a few parts I still need to wash then I'll see if I can set that strap on fire. If not, I'll get out the welding equipment. I was looking for an excuse to try to weld aluminum again. I just use a stick welder on DC, doesn't work too bad but better with a little practice...

My inventory at the house tells me I have a new or used brace for Homelite 360. Send me a reply if interested in and which one. = chainsawlady (Indiana)
I'll let you know if I can't fix this one. I'm gonna clean this one up and try to repair it but my success rate on stuff like this is usually under 50 percent...

I few years back I ran into a Stihl 066 with a broken lower strap going back to the trigger handle. It had been repaired with a bolted on steel bridge. That worked but looked rather ugly. I had a simple refined solution: install a new tank handle. Unfortunately, you do not have that option. :(

I few years back I ran into a Stihl 066 with a broken lower strap going back to the trigger handle. It had been repaired with a bolted on steel bridge. That worked but looked rather ugly. I had a simple refined solution: install a new tank handle. Unfortunately, you do not have that option. :(
No, but I have several other options, a new or used strap or possibly welding mine. Mine already has an aluminum strap bolted onto it and it does look rather ugly. I have some military grade epoxy that I've also been itching to try on something, maybe the handle strap. First I'm gonna find out what it's made out of if wife will give me time to work on it. It was yard work almost all day today, managed to sneak away for a few minutes to put most of the 360 together. She has an early morning errand tomorrow for me but I should have quite a bit of time tomorrow afternoon..

It looks like to me it's some kinda magnesium alloy. I filed the edge of the bracket onto a piece of metal and set it on fire and it sparkled. Wasn't completely convinced so I did it again and it sparkled again so it looks like welding is out. It had a metal strap bolted to it so I just put it back on the saw for now. I got it running yesterday afternoon and it ran fairly well for something that had probably been asleep for several years. I will say another thing: those saws certainly have an adequate oiler, even for a 24" bar and chain...I wonder if it's adjustable..if it is I'm gonna turn it down....

Latest posts

Back